Modified slimline with a "twist"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I got to thinking about how I could combine my CNC and pen making. My first project was to create a wood / Alumilite hybrid. I used the CNC to carve curves on 4 sides of a square blank using ⅛" bit. I filled the cuts with colored Alumilite resin and the turned result is attached. if I was doing it again I would use a more contrasting color to make the cuts stand out more on the Sapele. I plan to try some variations.

Attachments

• twist1.jpg
    twist1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 92
  • twist2.jpg
    twist2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 90
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello, it's very nice pen, I was also curious in making a slimline with one single blank.
Greetings
There is lots of help online with making a single blank slimline. Since I switched to single blank I haven't made any 2 blank pens. The single blank offers a lot more scope for variations in design and thickness. However, some people prefer 2 blanks and make their own center band, which also opens up design options.

There is lots of help online with making a single blank slimline. Since I switched to single blank I haven't made any 2 blank pens. The single blank offers a lot more scope for variations in design and thickness. However, some people prefer 2 blanks and make their own center band, which also opens up design options.
Thanks,I completely agree. While they definitely have their place, I've recently found myself purchasing more single-blank pen kits. Some of my recent favorites include the Duraclick pen and pencil, Duchess, McKenzie Liberty, and the Exemplar, which has become one of my go-to options.

I do purchase other single-blank kits of various kinds. The benefit of single blank slimline is cost. If you want to make a large number of pens economically that is the way to go. For example, I recently made 25 pens for a local Fire Hall to thank them for the work that they do. I engraved each pen with the city and hall number using my laser.

There are several pen turning books that have a good section on modifying slimline pens, from which I learned a lot. For many "beginners" it might be their first departure from the "instructions" :cool:. BTW I still consider myself a "novice" when compared to the many very talented people who are member's of IAP.

Back
Top Bottom