Metal rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Is there a secret to turning metal rings? I have some metal discs, and I'm trying to turn copper placed between my cap and finial, it's getting so darn hot. Any tips and tricks to this.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hippie3180, do you have any photos of this endeavor? I'm curious to depart from the factory rings, collars, etc.
So these are cut with a disc cutter, we don't have one, but you can find these on Etsy in all kinds of sizes and metals. They are a bit testy to deal with, obviously you have to drill a hole through them. We use a wood lathe and not a metal lathe so they are also a bit challenging to turn and hard on tools. We use carbide and things get super hot.

I've seen rings that folks add to their pens that were probably discs like this and because the material is harder than wood or Alumilite, the tool wants to skip over it in favor of the softer material, this makes the ring stand proud of your body, finial, or cap finial…so you have to make sure all are on the same plane.

We do it this way because we don't own a metal lathe and thought it might be a work around, but it really is a whole ordeal.

The example cap/ finial shown is just kind of a play, mock up situation, obviously not a genuine pen. Trying to figure things out.

Attachments

• IMG_0679.jpeg
    IMG_0679.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 33
Very sharp tools, light cuts are what works for me. Try turning it down to as close to the final diameter as possible before putting it on the pen.
I guess ideally a metal lathe would be a better option. I'm not sure how to turn them down first really. I may just go with pick guard material to finesse up my pens instead.

I'd suggest approaching this in passes from the side, opposed to just pushing the tool into the metal perpendicular to the work. Once the tool engages the metal enough to form chips, keep it moving. Rubbing is your enemy as it causes heat to build up.

Take breaks between passes, using air or water (not the safest, but I'd probably dab a wet rag to the spinning part if there weren't any major catches to grab the cloth) to help cool things down.

Finally, maybe look at a different source of metal. Copper usually isn't too difficult to cut (compared to other metals). I'm guessing those disks are stamped and as a result, likely work hardened. This makes it a bit more difficult for you.

Good luck

I'd suggest approaching this in passes from the side, opposed to just pushing the tool into the metal perpendicular to the work. Once the tool engages the metal enough to form chips, keep it moving. Rubbing is your enemy as it causes heat to build up.

Take breaks between passes, using air or water (not the safest, but I'd probably dab a wet rag to the spinning part if there weren't any major catches to grab the cloth) to help cool things down.

Finally, maybe look at a different source of metal. Copper usually isn't too difficult to cut (compared to other metals). I'm guessing those disks are stamped and as a result, likely work hardened. This makes it a bit more difficult for you.

Good luck
The one pictured that we were experimenting with is copper, it got super hot. I'll try a different approach to see if it helps.

Are you talking about rings such as brass or aluminum/silver rings that are used as separators in some segmented pens?
Pens such as this:

Rings such as in the bottom of this photo:

I place brass sheets between 1/2" plywood plates.I screw it down all the way around. Mark out my spaces and drill with the size hole I want. Take the screws out and then cut rough round circles. That makes them deformed cutting them out, but I use a flattening hammer on an anvil to re-flaten them. Then when in a pen segment, I turn then round with a carbide insert.

Grizzly used to have a Hand Punch set that made different size rings. a smaller version of this:

and similar to this one on amazon but made for punching thin metal and capable of punching rings out of thin metal sheets.

Are you talking about rings such as brass or aluminum/silver rings that are used as separators in some segmented pens?
Pens such as this:

Rings such as in the bottom of this photo:

I place brass sheets between 1/2" plywood plates.I screw it down all the way around. Mark out my spaces and drill with the size hole I want. Take the screws out and then cut rough round circles. That makes them deformed cutting them out, but I use a flattening hammer on an anvil to re-flaten them. Then when in a pen segment, I turn then round with a carbide insert.

Grizzly used to have a Hand Punch set that made different size rings. a smaller version of this:

and similar to this one on amazon but made for punching thin metal and capable of punching rings out of thin metal sheets.
Ah ha! Yes, this might be the solution we've been looking for. We'll give this a whirl. Thank you!

The one pictured that we were experimenting with is copper, it got super hot. I'll try a different approach to see if it helps.
Copper is a nightmare to turn, very "grabby", I avoid it at all cost. Try brass, the 360 alloy machines beautifully, stay away from the red brasses, they have a lot of copper in them.

Last edited:
One of the problems you may be having is the use of carbide tools. I tried using my carbide and found they did not work well with metals. Using HSS traditional tools, I haven't had any problems. I have even used roofing steel and have not had any issues, but I only did that one time because the metal was so hard.

One of the problems you may be having is the use of carbide tools. I tried using my carbide and found they did not work well with metals. Using HSS traditional tools, I haven't had any problems. I have even used roofing steel and have not had any issues, but I only did that one time because the metal was so hard.
Perhaps you're right, I also think the gauge is too substantial, we could've gone thinner.

I think next we'll try making from sheets as Hank suggested.
Copper is a nightmare to turn, very "grabby", I avoid it at all cost. Try brass, the 360 alloy machines beautifully, stay away from the red brasses, they have a lot of copper in them.
Well now, this is something I did not know. Good to know, thank you.

Lew, you are right. I did use my HSS tools instead of the carbide inserts. Age is getting to my mind!

Have you tried drilling leftover blank pieces & parting off pickguard thickness washers to use as appropriate accents?
I've seen this done, I have a wood lathe, I'm not sure how precise or small I could get them, but certainly an option.

There are lots of options I haven't thought about, now to try some of them.

I leave them the OD of the blank, glue to the finial tenon before turning the finial to size & then turn it as a single piece, clean up the tenon, then thread.
Makes perfect sense, I was just thinking if you wanted two on your cap for example, could you get them close to the same width, with out a metal lathe, and really I'm sure you could.

Back
Top Bottom