Mammoth tusk & meteorite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ZanderPommo

ZanderPommo

This is a rollerball I just finished for a good friend of mine. He helped me out in a big way and I wanted to make him something special as a thank you.

Its wooly mammoth tusk cast in black resin.
The engraving is filled with dust that I filed off of a (VERY hard) Gibeon meteorite. Filing enough powder to fill the engraved initials from this little 1/2 meteorite took at least an hour.
The kit is a Jr. Anthony.

Attachments

• IMG_4617.jpeg
    IMG_4617.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_4618.jpeg
    IMG_4618.jpeg
    225.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4620.jpeg
    IMG_4620.jpeg
    214.9 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4621.jpeg
    IMG_4621.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4622.jpeg
    IMG_4622.jpeg
    231.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4583.jpeg
    IMG_4583.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very cool! That certainly must be a good friend. That's a lot of filing. Was the blank material hard to work with? Tusk seems like it might be brittle, especially considering that it isn't exactly fresh.

Very cool! That certainly must be a good friend. That's a lot of filing. Was the blank material hard to work with? Tusk seems like it might be brittle, especially considering that it isn't exactly fresh.
lol, fresh it is not. Yes, even stabilized the stuff can be a bit tricky. I stuck with sharp carbide tools, higher speeds and light cuts, and didn't turn them down as far as I normally would before I started sanding. I took my time but I feel like it was well worth it.

That looks great!

Did you by chance get the blank from Scott Bulpitt/House of Mammoth on Facebook? I just got a couple of the Mammoth Tusk blanks from him but am a little too chicken to try the Mammoth Tooth, I think that takes completely different turning tools.

That looks great!

Did you by chance get the blank from Scott Bulpitt/House of Mammoth on Facebook? I just got a couple of the Mammoth Tusk blanks from him but am a little too chicken to try the Mammoth Tooth, I think that takes completely different turning tools.
The mammoth tooth is basically like turning glass. You either need to do 100% sanding (and still CA stabilizing along the way) or you need to have a metal lathe or CNC and specialized carbide tools.
And no, I got the tusk blanks from Keith Tyler on Facebook. Super nice guy.

Back
Top Bottom