Looking for a longer...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ray-CA

..7mm arbor. Not much longer, maybe 0.75" to 1.0" longer. Just long enough that I can slide it into my arbor mandrel when I'm turning this fountain pen kit. Right now, I have to turn/sand the upper and lower blanks separately.

Anyone have any idea where or who to talk with?

Thanks,
Ray

Attachments

• 20240828_140603.jpg
    20240828_140603.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20240828_140556.jpg
    20240828_140556.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 49
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I buy my drill rod (mandrels) from McMaster Carr. There are two common mandrel sizes. I prefer the "D" size which is specified as 0.246" inches +/- 0.0005" inches typical and is a very good replacement for most standard 0.247" inch "A"/7mm mandrel shafts. The alternative is "C" Drill Rod which has a slightly smaller diameter of 0.242" inches +/-0.0005" inches. I buy them in 3-foot lengths for about $8 USD each.

They can be inserted into typical adjustable length mandrels like the PSI Maxi-Mandrels or they can be used in a Jacobs chuck or a Collet Chuck too. In any case, a Mandrel Saver type tailstock is also needed because the Drill Rod is not threaded for a brass nut.

Dave

The suggestions above are good for the shaft, but only a start. You will also need a way to hold the rod on the head stock and tail stock ends and thread the end of the rod or use a "Mandrel Saver". You can get an Adjustable mandrel (get the silver one) and replace the shaft. You can either drill the tail stock end and thread the end for the nut, OR use a Mandrel Saver....
Hope this helps.

I do use a mandrel savor so that end is good. The other end has a reduced diameter that is threaded to go into the MT2 fitting. So, I will have to take what rod I find to a machine shop and have that done.

I understand that a longer rod may-might-will increase to possibility of flex and/or chatter but I believe that can be either eliminated or reduced by adjusting the lathe speed. It's something that I'd like to try and if it works, great, if not, then I've learned something and won't be out too much money.

Thanks to all for your input and I'll report back with results when I have some.

Ray

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 20
Back
Top Bottom