Libby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

I'm sure many of you folks know about Libby. Maybe some don't so I'm going to leave it here. I didn't know about it until pretty recently when my wife clued me in.

Libby is a library app for your phone or tablet. It connects your library card to your device, and lets you check out books, or in my case audio-books, from the library. So basically it's the free version of amazons Audible.

My local library uses it, as does the greater Philadelphia library. Any resident in the state of Pennsylvania can get a Philly library card, by the way.

Here's my point. We turners spend hours in the woodshop. I listen to podcasts and music mostly. Here is an opportunity, for free, to take in some books you always thought you should read, but never had the time. I'm listening to 1984 now. The call of the Wild. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Mans Search for Meaning. The Road. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I googled someone else's must-read list and I'm working through it. I quit if it's not my cup o tea, and move on to another.

I thought this might be a spot to share titles and recommendations for anyone looking to occupy their ears and minds while turning pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Interesting how technology eliminates a simple library card. I don't care to listen to books. My late sister in law had Kindle. I like to turn pages. I like to read for 30-60 minutes before beddy bye time. Looked at my book collection. Estimate about 700 books.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Been doing a lot of walking and I use Libby a lot. Also, being able to download books onto my IPad allows me to increase the font size which is a great help with my eye floaters and emerging cataracts.

Sataro

I've been using Libby for years. Very nice to download books without having to spend gas & time driving to library. Carry my kindle to work with me & read daily. Being a citizen in Texas, allows you to get a membership in Houston's Public Library. I have been enjoying that membership due to more book availability than my smaller local libraries.
Still great to open up that hardcover book & flip through the pages as I read…

monophoto

Libby is a mobile app offered by OverDrive. OverDrive sells e-book management services to libraries. Most libraries don't have the financial and technical resources to do e-books by themselves, so OverDrive is a good solution for them. The library's rules determine who can borrow what, for how long, and whether renewals are allowed, while OverDrive provides the IT system that makes it happen.

Originally, the OverDrive service was offered via a web site developed for each participating library by OverDrive, and some libraries still offer that web site to their patrons. The web site must be accessed using a browser such as Google Chrome or FireFox. Libby was introduced a couple of years ago as an improvement over the web site. Its a free-standing mobile app that can be installed on phones or other mobile devices. I've used both, and functionally they do the same things; I prefer the web site mainly because I have more experience using it.

The basic OverDrive e-book management system was designed to support users of Amazon Kindle e-book readers, and content is forward to users' Kindles through Amazon. I believe that OverDrive also offers a reading app that is similar to the downloadable Kindle Reading app that can be installed on phones or generic tablets. There is also a version of Libby designed for users of Barnes & Noble Nook readers.

Some libraries use other e-book management services (competitors to OverDrive). The thing to be aware of is that they may not be compatible with Kindle. So before leaping on board a system, its important to check your local library to see which system they use.

Public libraries are generally tax-supported, and access in most cases is limited to those who reside within the taxing jurisdiction of the library. But as Sataro says, there are exceptions; sometimes you can access other libraries within your state, and there are instances of libraries that will sell you access for an annual fee. I find that my local public library is sufficient for my needs, but some people choose to subscribe to multiple libraries to expand their choice of material.

TonyL

Yes...I have been listening to their audiobooks and Great courses for years. Listen almost every night before going to bed or when driving.

Lenny

I got my wife a Kindle PaperWhite for Christmas and she loves it. But as Monophoto said, not all libraries support the PaperWhite or Libby. The libraries in Maine use a different system. She hasn't been able to borrow any books and is stuck using Kindle Unlimited.

Top Bottom