Leadwood & Urushi Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OscarHallStudios

This is an interesting wood I got from Beaufort Ink which has a contrasting color grain, which I tried to preserve by keeping the pen barrel quite wide. Happy with the results.
full_1.png
capped_1.png
lying_1.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I really like the beauty of single blank wood in all its forms (in spite of my interest in segmenting - which has always been wood). This pen is wonderful. LOvely artistry. Thanks for sharing.

I really like the beauty of single blank wood in all its forms (in spite of my interest in segmenting - which has always been wood). This pen is wonderful. LOvely artistry. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for the kind words Mark! I do have one admission to make, however.. this was actually two separate blanks.. I managed to get the contrasting color to be similar on each by the depth I turned them to, and got very lucky when putting it all together that here it lined up perfectly! I would love to take the credit for it, but mother nature deserves it here!

Thanks for the kind words Mark! I do have one admission to make, however.. this was actually two separate blanks.. I managed to get the contrasting color to be similar on each by the depth I turned them to, and got very lucky when putting it all together that here it lined up perfectly! I would love to take the credit for it, but mother nature deserves it here!

A beauty .
Did you use their metallic insert inside the section ? Also can you please share the dimensions of the pen.
Thank you friend! Here is a breakdown of the dimensions for this pen:

From top -> bottom

Cap top: 17.6mm diameter
Cap bottom: 18mm diameter
Barrel top: 17.5mm diameter
Barrel end: 13.7mm diameter

Cap length: 68.4mm without point
Cap point length: 5.5mm

Barrel length: 71.6mm without point
Barrel point length: 3.2mm

Barrel thread length (acrylic): 10.3mm, translates to ~ 1.5 turns to open/close

The wooden section is sleeved using Beaufort Ink's metal inside sleeve
Section length: 25.4mm
Section top: 11.3mm diameter
Section bottom 11.5mm diameter

Sometimes I use acrylic and sometimes I use ebonite for the cap/barrel sleeving. It does not make a lot of difference, but I prefer to work with ebonite usually. They end up usually with a thin coating of urushi, anyway. :)

From top -> bottom

Sometimes I use acrylic and sometimes I use ebonite for the cap/barrel sleeving. It does not make a lot of difference, but I prefer to work with ebonite usually. They end up usually with a thin coating of urushi, anyway. :)
Oops that was quite a detail. Thank you . However if I use a 18 MM diamond cast blank or for that matter Evne Japanese ebonite ending up at 17.6/18 isn't possible. You must be using atleast 20 MM i guess .

Oops that was quite a detail. Thank you . However if I use a 18 MM diamond cast blank or for that matter Evne Japanese ebonite ending up at 17.6/18 isn't possible. You must be using atleast 20 MM i guess .
Yes, for some of my wooden pens I use spindle blanks which are much wider, like ~25mm for example. This is because when I sleeve the inside of the cap, I have to drill somewhere in the 14-15mm range and if the wood is too thin then it can easily break during this step. I use 25mm to make it easier.

Yes, for some of my wooden pens I use spindle blanks which are much wider, like ~25mm for example. This is because when I sleeve the inside of the cap, I have to drill somewhere in the 14-15mm range and if the wood is too thin then it can easily break during this step. I use 25mm to make it easier.
Unfortunately most of the wooden pen blanks are sold in 19/20 MM Sqr which makes it difficult to sleeve in. Back home in India , we don't get these exotic varieties in lumber Sizes which makes it a very huge investment for me.

From top -> bottom

Is it M 13x0.8 for barrel and cap for the above dimensions ?

Ah, I see see. That's a shame.

Yes :)
Is the threaded length on barrel included in the total barrel length of 71.6 MM ? with a schimdt converter , 10 Mm ( threads ) + 65 mm ( projection of converter into barrel ) itself is 75 and with another 7-8 mm for for the finial will make it wiil make it close to 88 mm. In your case it's 74 Mm. kindly explain.

Is the threaded length on barrel included in the total barrel length of 71.6 MM ? with a schimdt converter , 10 Mm ( threads ) + 65 mm ( projection of converter into barrel ) itself is 75 and with another 7-8 mm for for the finial will make it wiil make it close to 88 mm. In your case it's 74 Mm. kindly explain.
The thread length was not included, so the barrel is approximately ~84mm including the pointy end and the threads. The converter seats somewhere around the middle of the thread (roughly). There is probably ~2-4mm of material at the end of the barrel.

Back
Top Bottom