Large Walnut Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mortalis

Mortalis

This is from the other side of the stump of the previous large Walnut bowl I posted a while ago.
13" x 4"
Tried and True Original
Cracks filled with light blue tinted epoxy.

Attachments

• Walnut 1.JPG
    Walnut 1.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Walnut 2.JPG
    Walnut 2.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Walnut 4.JPG
    Walnut 4.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Walnut 5.JPG
    Walnut 5.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Walnut 6.JPG
    Walnut 6.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Walnut Bottom 3.JPG
    Walnut Bottom 3.JPG
    212.6 KB · Views: 27

Mortalis

Lovely bowl Kevin . At what stage did you fill the cracks ?
Thanks for the kind words.

I initially started filling the cracks when it was still a rough blank. I used probably 3 small bottles of thin CA and then 1 bottle of medium to just stabilize the blank so I could start roughing it out. .
Once I have the outside about 2 or 3 passes from being done I filled all the cracks I could see. I could only do one side at a time, let it harden and then I could continue with the other side. With the temps in the 90's here this week the epoxy flowed really well.
Once I started on the inside I started filling cracks that were causing the blank to vibrate or my tool to jump.

This bowl took over 8 days to complete because of the wait time for the epoxy to harden each time I filled cracks. Besides filling the cracks the blank itself was very eroding to the tool edge and I found myself having to sharpen after every 4 - 6 cuts.

I actually find the whole experience challenging trying to save a large piece such as this and knowing the grain pattern will be very worth the effort.

Top Bottom