keeping purple heart purple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mhallett

I read somewhere that if you toss purpleheart into an over, say 350 degrees for about an hour, it will retain the purple color for a longer period of time, Has anyone had any experience doing this? How were the results?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

I heard about the heating method for purpleheart as well, but I think it might just advance the "freshly cut" color to the "intermediate color" phase depicted in the chart below (from the article linked above). The purpleheart will eventually go to its settled-in color of dull brown, regardless of any treatment.

1721141750065.png

I actually used a heat gun, and it does get you to the intermediate color listed in the graphic above. It worked well, but you have to be careful not to burn the wood. I'm unsure of how long it will last- I imagine that with a polyurethane, CA, or something similar, the color will last longer than with just oil, wax, or pens plus.

I've used both a heat gun and leaving them in the sun to good effect.

One obviously takes longer than the other, and you can control the color variance a bit better with the heat gun.

i prefer to leave purple heart in the sun to bring back the color. using heat can get it too dark too fast and doesn't get that nice saturated purple that everyone loves so much

I've been down this road. I'm not knocking what others have said just what I've read and done. I was making a pen and stand out of Purple Heart. I started with the stand. After sanding and engraving I used DNA to wipe off the dust and it faded the color. I put it in the sun and couldn't tell a big difference. That's when I read that the sun can enhance or fade the color. I tried a heat gun but was afraid of burning the wood so I stopped without risking that. I put some test pieces in the oven and it seemed it was an on and off change. Meaning that it wasn't a subtle change but all at once. The color was all the way through and even but dark. It was a little too dark for me but better than the faded look. Here's a couple of pictures of the finished project. Good Luck.

Attachments

• IMG_4064.jpeg
    IMG_4064.jpeg
    571.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4062.jpeg
    IMG_4062.jpeg
    482.1 KB · Views: 44
Back
Top Bottom