Jerry Bailey/Gisi Blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Jerry was an awesome blank maker, I believe he passed away in 2020. I never turned one of his blanks but I always admired them. I was pretty new to segmenting and not confident enough to try to make anything close to his blanks. Well I have a few blanks under my belt so today was the day I decided to give it a shot. Again, not my design, but I believe he'd approve. The picture is his on the right, (big), and mine on the left. This was a very fun build.

Attachments

• IMG_4619.jpeg
    IMG_4619.jpeg
    284.3 KB · Views: 96
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wow, that looks great, Ken! Your segmenting skills are top notch already.

Now, I wonder, where does the word (or description?) Gisi come from?

I found this page of Jerry Bailey blanks. They are, of course, all sold, but the pictures are some nice examples for us to check out. I need some precision jigs before I attempt anything like that. BTW, I'm impressed with your jigmaking, too.

Wow, that looks great, Ken! Your segmenting skills are top notch already.

Now, I wonder, where does the word (or description?) Gisi come from?

I found this page of Jerry Bailey blanks. They are, of course, all sold, but the pictures are some nice examples for us to check out. I need some precision jigs before I attempt anything like that. BTW, I'm impressed with your jigmaking, too.
I believe Gisi is the last name of the person that came up with the design.

I believe Gisi is the last name of the person that came up with the design.
Thanks. A search turned this up. I'll bet others will be interested.

Jerry Bailey was a great blank maker and a great guy. Although none are for still for sale, I was honored to work with him in the end to distribute his wonderful creations. Following is his bio that he provided, along with my personal note regarding his passing.

Jerry Bailey

March 16, 2020 - It is with great sadness that I've just learned that Jerry Bailey has passed away. The last few years he dealt with health issues and was unable to turn or make blank, but he returned briefly and made a batch for Tennessee Pen Supply. My friend, you are missed. -- Robert Kulp

It is an honor to have this talented craftsman as a guest artist. His designs and craftsmanship are truly outstanding.

Jerry has been a professional woodworker for most of his life. After spending time in his youth in the U.S. Navy, he spent the next 38+ years as a high-end custom cabinet/furniture maker, working in different shops across the United States. He became involved in working with a lathe and wood turning around 2005 when he needed custom stair rails for a job. He's been hooked ever since.

After becoming disabled in 2009, when he was no longer able to work on larger pieces, he began to concentrate on turning. He enjoys creating functional utilitarian pieces such as bowls, platters, hollow vessels. as well as unique writing instruments.

Around 2014, he was introduced to Mark Gisi and started making pens and pen blanks by segmenting wood and other material. Jerry has further developed the "Gisi Style" and has been instrumental in teaching others Mark's techniques. He gladly shares his knowledge and expertise with others willing to learn.

He enjoys working with Burls, Exotic, and Spalted Wood, as well as come custom poured acrylics. Stay tuned to see what he comes up with next.

Back
Top Bottom