Ipe Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I bought a piece of Ipe today. I have never seen Ipe that looks like this and I can't find anything in line that matches it either. Has anyone seen Ipe like the picture? It really is an attractive piece. The picture is three pen blanks I cut from it.

Attachments

• IMG_4914.jpeg
    IMG_4914.jpeg
    539.5 KB · Views: 71
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The grain pattern is somewhat boring when used on the scale of making a pen, which may or not be a factor for you. Not my preference. The oily nature of the wood that contributes to its durability, also makes it resist efforts to glue it to itself or other materials. Years ago, making outdoor furniture from Ipe, the only adhesive I found that would work was a particular brand of epoxy (Sorry, cannot remember the brand, but I think it was sourced from Canada). It might be similar to the Lee Valley product "G-2", which is very expensive.

I have some that has a few yellowish streaks, but nothing as pronounced as what is in your picture. There is a lot of contrast in there - it almost reminds me of how palm looks, but it is most likely to be Ipe.

Unless it has been removed, in November 2022, Ipe was added to Appendix 2 of the CITES, although the "Wood Database" says otherwise. Maybe because it was put on a 2-year implementation period, which would mean that the CITES import/export regulations don't take hold until November 2024.

Dave

PS I've also read an article from Robi Decking that says there is silica and other chemicals embedded in Ipe that are extremely toxic and that breathing the dust from sawing can cause immediate sickness. Contractors are advised to use protective clothing and masks and to shower immediately after working with it. They also added that splinters will almost immediately fester up and that there are multiple reported hospital visits due to Ipe sawdust and splinters and included a link about it to Woodweb.

Back
Top Bottom