In need of some information

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ray-CA

Ray-CA

A friend brought me a slab of Bradford pear and would like a cutting board made from it. I'm not able to find anything specific as far as how "food safe" this wood is, so I thought I'd ask here.

Is Bradford pear an acceptable wood for a cutting board?

Thanks.
Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have made some pens out of a Bradford Pear tree that came from our yard. I really like it. It is a soft, hardwood if that makes any sense.

Bradford Pears are cultivars of Callery Pears and is in the Roscaceae family. The name "Bradford" came from Frederick Charles Bradford, who was responsible for developing the cultivar at a USDA Plant Introduction Station in Glenn Dale, Maryland in the early 1950's. The cultivar was developed through breeding to enhance the tree's ornamental qualities while getting rid of the undesirable thorns. The Bradford Pear was released to the public in 1963 and it became very popular for ornamental landscaping use.

Bradford Pears are interesting plants. Their flowers are specialized for attracting flies instead of bees for pollination.

I agree with Curly, Bradford Pear is becoming less and less common because somewhere around 1990-2000 ish it started to be considered invasive. In fact Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Ohio have laws that make it illegal to plant, grow, or sell Bradford Pear trees (or any of the other Callery Pear Cultivars).

Dave

Here in Texas, at least my neck of the woods…there are Bradford Pears in every yard-sometimes more than one.

The subdivision next to us uses the word Bradford. Pretty when in bloom but stinks to high heaven. Considered an invasive in Tennessee, too. Why, I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom