Hi all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Welcome aboard!

I'm right next door in N. Wisconsin. This is the video that got me started on CA finish for pens. I've had good luck ever since. Using Starbond thin for the first couple of coats, then medium for the rest.

Lots of guys here like GluBoost products.

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP Community!

The video that Derek (derekdd) shared is a very good start for developing a CA regimen. The regimen that evolved for me, and has worked very well, is very similar to what is in the video. I recently switched to the GluBoost family of products, but I have some tweaking to my regimen to get done before I am satisfied. According to the video, I might be applying it with my lathe running too fast. (I usually apply standard CA at about 500 RPM). I'm going to have to try to slow it down for my next pen.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your work. - Dave

Welcome Kieran. Lots of ways to do, try, fail and succeed. šŸ˜Š After making several pens and being inconsistent with the finish, I decided to focus on the learning and mastering the different steps. My way of learning was to get me a foot long 2x4 pine and cut it into a bunch of pen sized blanks. I bought a bunch of slim line pen tubes. Then I practiced drilling, (Drilling pen blank sizes is different than drilling a 2x4 or plywood) turning and finishing. And Since I wasn't trying to make a pen, I focused on the feel of the turning tool. Then for finishing, which you mentioned specifically, I spent about two hours or so just applying CA and getting the feel and feedback. That really helped me make a quick leap in consistency. I have sense changed my method somewhat but that really helped get me started.

Back
Top Bottom