Help me out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Does anyone know what the chuck with the 4 curved (inward) jaws is called? I see it used often by folks making nib holders, but am curious and unable to find them. I have no idea what they are called. I have a regular four jaw chuck, but it kind of scares me to use it.

I would guess the jaws curve inward so you can get close to the jaws to turn/part off.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Are you talking about Dovetail Jaws?

1720651900211.png

I'm looking for a chuck like this. What is this?

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpeg
    IMG_0149.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 83
Nova has just brought out a variation of those dome jaws for their line of chucks. SKU 6091.

Nova has just brought out a variation of those dome jaws for their line of chucks. SKU 6091.
That's good to know. We have a chuck set, but I don't think it's Nova. I'm guessing the chucks aren't interchangeable which would mean buying a new set. 🤔 Still good to know.

That's good to know. We have a chuck set, but I don't think it's Nova. I'm guessing the chucks aren't interchangeable which would mean buying a new set. 🤔 Still good to know.

If you have a Record Power chuck, then it is compatible with Nova jaws. Generally speaking, though, most chucks have their own specs and the jaws of one brand are not compatible with another, unless explicitly specified.

Best way is to start by identifying the make and model of the chuck you own. Then go to the manufacturer's web site and look for their range of jaws (note that some have more than one chuck, and the jaws might not be interchangeable between their chuck models.)

Don't trust reseller descriptions on eBay or Amazon - or at least test fit them immediately they arrive so you don't miss the free return window if it turns out they misrepresented the compatibility. DAMHIKT.

Please educate me. How is this better?
I'm making an assumption here, that you are asking about the Dome Chuck specifically vs other types of chucks. Dome chucks are primarily designed to have a smooth, domed shape, so one can get their hands closer to the chuck without as much concern and risk of serious injury from bumping into sharp edges like one finds on typical chuck designs. - Dave

I'm making an assumption here, that you are asking about the Dome Chuck specifically vs other types of chucks. Dome chucks are primarily designed to have a smooth, domed shape, so one can get their hands closer to the chuck without as much concern and risk of serious injury from bumping into sharp edges like one finds on typical chuck designs. - Dave
Yes,that's what I figured. I have a bit of apprehension about the commonly used four jaw. For fountain pen production I use a collet and feel very comfortable, I'm looking for something less scary to hold nib holders.

Yes,that's what I figured. I have a bit of apprehension about the commonly used four jaw. For fountain pen production I use a collet and feel very comfortable, I'm looking for something less scary to hold nib holders.

Best way is to start by identifying the make and model of the chuck you own. Then go to the manufacturer's web site and look for their range of jaws (note that some have more than one chuck, and the jaws might not be interchangeable between their chuck models.)

Don't trust reseller descriptions on eBay or Amazon - or at least test fit them immediately they arrive so you don't miss the free return window if it turns out they misrepresented the compatibility. DAMHIKT.
Thank you, good to know. I looked and my chuck set is a Pen State, but I'm considering a Beall set. I'll have to look into the chuck options though when considering a switch.

Did I know dome jaws were a thing before reading this thread? No. Do I need dome jaws for any even remotely legitimate reason? No. Do I want dome jaws just because I now know they exist? Yes.

🙏

Please educate me. How is this better?
Better than what? Better than guessing whether a set of jaws that fits somebody else's chuck might fit mine?

As Hippie wrote after my post, their chuck is Penn State. I know of 2 different Penn State chuck/jaw types which are incompatible with each other, and both of them are incompatible with Nova, Oneway, Vicmarc, Record, Axminster, and EasyWoodTools chucks.

Better than what? Better than guessing whether a set of jaws that fits somebody else's chuck might fit mine?

As Hippie wrote after my post, their chuck is Penn State. I know of 2 different Penn State chuck/jaw types which are incompatible with each other, and both of them are incompatible with Nova, Oneway, Vicmarc, Record, Axminster, and EasyWoodTools chucks.
No, I was curious as to how these were better than standard jaw chucks. That question was answered. I'm used to working in close proximity to the chuck but can see how they would be safer.

No, I was curious as to how these were better than standard jaw chucks. That question was answered. I'm used to working in close proximity to the chuck but can see how they would be safer.
My apologies - I misunderstood what you were asking.

As well as adding clearance for a tool to come into the workpiece from the headstock end, this type of jaw also permits gripping a tenon that's a lot smaller than other jaw types.

Back
Top Bottom