Hello from Gallup, NM

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

riplakish5

New to the group and have been away from pen turning for a few years. I have been woodworking for about 60 years. Fifteen of those years I was a wood patternmaker for a foundry. I got my first woodworking multi-tool when I was 8 years old and have loved working with wood ever since. I have turned quite a few pens and small turning in the past. But I now have a question for the group; is there a good alternative to CA for gluing tubes in wood blanks? CA has started giving me breathing issues. I am starting a large pen project of about 50 to 60 pens. I have the wood blanks all drilled and ready for tubes, but I am not looking forward to CA fumes. Thanks for any suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

derekdd

Welcome aboard!

To answer your question, many here use 5 minute, 2 part epoxy to glue tubes into blanks. Longer open time, better hold, but you have to wait a bit before you can turn.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP, and I will also voice a recommendation for two part epoxy. Many varieties, but each will do the job within their specs.

egnald

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP Community. Like many here, I too use epoxy to glue my tubes into the blanks. I finish with CA, but I use the GluBoost family of products which at least to my nose fumes are much less noticeable than other CA products. - Dave

Jarod888

As many before have said, 5 minute epoxy works great. If you glue up multiple blanks in one sitting, go with the 15 minute variety.

I've used all different kinds. I like the plunge dispenser type. I find that they dispense even amounts of both a and b. They are probably more expensive to buy, but because the containers are smaller, you use them up and don't end up wasting as much if the go bad.

I still follow the same process. Scuff and clean the tubes, plug the ends with dental wax, rescuff the ends with the dental wax, mix up the epoxy, coat 1/2 of the tube, press in and then spread the squeeze out around the rest of the tube. A few twists as I push in the tube the rest of the way will ensure full coverage.

d_bondi

Welcome from Utah.

I use 15 min 2 part epoxy for gluing in tubes. I've convinced myself it is a bit less brittle than the 5 min varieties and I like the added open time. Full strength in 2 hours, but I almost always wait over night to turn.

I still scuff the tubes.

I also plug the ends with something. I have used dental wax, but am currently using Play-Doh!

sorcerertd

Welcome from NC!

I use 2 part epoxy for the "plastics", paint the inside of the blanks, and do not scuff the tubes. I want them smooth so they don't scratch the paint.

For wood, I use Gorilla poly glue, and I do scuff the tubes. The glue foams to fill any voids between the tube and blank (not that there is usually much space to fill, but I find it reassuring in my own mind).

I generally prep several at a time. That way there are always pens in various stages and they usually have a day or 2 to set up (sometimes a lot longer). In doing this, I must say that 5 minute epoxy doesn't leave much time to fool around when you're trying to get multiple blanks and tubes glued up. I'm going to leave them to cure at least overnight, so the set up time won't really matter

Top Bottom