Hello from a novice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

novice

Never turned pens but have turned other items from wood, metal, & plastic. Mainly use my lathes for repair work such as making missing parts for restorations. My main lathe is a Unimat SL-1000 hobby unit I rebuilt and another DIY one made from off-the-shelf parts. So, very interested in the techniques used and problems overcome when making pens from scratch. I am located in the northeast USA.

Hello!

novice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP community. A college friend of mine had one of those lathes. He used it in his bedroom at home to make miniature steam engines. He made everything, even the little nuts and bolts that he used to hold them together. He said his mom just hated it because the metal shavings were almost impossible to get out of the carpet in his room. What a fun tool. - Dave

Greetings from Nebraska and welcome to the IAP community. A college friend of mine had one of those lathes. He used it in his bedroom at home to make miniature steam engines. He made everything, even the little nuts and bolts that he used to hold them together. He said his mom just hated it because the metal shavings were almost impossible to get out of the carpet in his room. What a fun tool. - Dave

Swarf does get messy and everywhere. Mine had been thrown away into a scrap metal dumpster but disassembled before it went in. First time I've ever climbed into one after anything too. Got 95% of it out, mainly missing small small screws, etc. Anything critical that I missed I found on ebay. It's a great little machine and quite accurate.

Welcome Thomas! from the Harrisburg PA area. Pull up a chair and sit a spell. We are mostly the friendly sort and welcome all. Be sure to check out the IAP Library under "Resources", "IAP Library". LOTS of good info there!!! You can also add your location to our map. Check out the link in my signature below.

Back
Top Bottom