Have I stumbled upon something here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've got a good friend who is a very busy cabinet maker supplying cabinets for our local large state-affiliated hospital and associated offices. His wait time is about 1.5 years. Recently, I've found a local maker's space for $35/ a month with a 4x8 CNC router and unlimited use. I'd be stupid if I didn't see this as a money-making opportunity, right?

So what CNC router / cabinet designing software should I get acquainted with in order to start making cabinets for my buddy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've not used a CNC for cabinet making.
The folks I've seen doing this have a huge shop and lots of experience and business.
They use the CNC to maximize material use.
They're lead time is about 3 months.

But, what happened to Porch Swings?

Yeah, I'm always developing ideas. I'm looking at porch swing designs now and getting input from my greenhouse guy. Most business ideas, and especially mine, don't come to fruition, so I've become used to pursuing more than one idea at a time.

Mortalis, I don't have much experience, or any experience, with making cabinets on CNCs (although I've watched a ton of videos on CNC router operation). I just assumed a CNC router would help out with any cabinet-making, although I could be wrong. I need to get to his shop and get more familiar with what kind of cabinets he makes, although he's said before that if I had a CNC, there would be work for me.

I've worked in, and applied to another, cabinet shop that used cnc routers. Great for doing mass production parts like sides and shelves, however, they need to be running constantly for those types of orders. I think your idea isn't a bad one, but for a makerspace, I would advise avoiding it since you'd be putting a lot of use on something that isn't yours to maintain. 35/month is not enough to justify what you are doing and is unfair to others who might want to use the equipment that you are keeping tied up with a personal business.

If you want to go try out doing a set or two, presenting it to your friend with the offer of running the project, then talking him into investing in his own cnc router; that would be a good avenue to try.

My makerspace charges a monthly fee plus a fee for time using a machine - to cover the maintenance and wear items. A lot of guys bring their own bits to be sure they are sharp and true.

Back
Top Bottom