harboring freight

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

just curious to know if anyone has used or owns a jacobs chuck or live center from harbor freight? i'm real low on funds as a grad student right now and have been wanting one of each (particularly the jacobs chuck) for a while and 8 bucks seems hard to beat.

if so, let me know what ya think...

thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have two jacob's chucks...both from HF and they perform fine. Both are MT2 jacob's chucks. But, all I use them for is holding a drill bit in the tail stock for drilling on the lathe. I've not used them for holding a mandrel or similar use. They both have very little runout.
Do a good turn daily!
Don'
Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />just curious to know if anyone has used or owns a jacobs chuck or live center from harbor freight? i'm real low on funds as a grad student right now and have been wanting one of each (particularly the jacobs chuck) for a while and 8 bucks seems hard to beat.

if so, let me know what ya think...

thanks.

A Jacobs chuck is a Jacobs chuck, no matter where you buy it. Go for the best price possible. the live center I would be leary of. Have you checked out: http://www.littlemachineshop.com/
Great price on a live centers. The shorty # Morse you might need a knock out bar, but no big deal

Originally posted by GBusardo
<br />A Jacobs chuck is a Jacobs chuck, no matter where you buy it.....

Sorry; but I really don't agree with the above statement....at least not in the real world. A lot of people own or sell "Jacob's" chucks that are "NOT" made by the Jacob's Chuck Company of Clemson, South Carolina. Some of those tools will be of high quality and some will be junk. When most people talk about a Jacob's chuck it is about the same as talking about a "Coke." They are talking about a drill chuck of the same or similar design without regard to whether or not it is actually a high quality tool manufactured by the Jacob's Chuck Company.

So in reality, not all "Jacob's" chucks are created equal. Some of the imports are reasonably good and some are not. As a rule, the very inexpensive ones may not be as good as you would like(DAMHIK); but there are always exceptions.

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />

Sorry; but I really don't agree with the above statement....at least not in the real world. A lot of people own or sell "Jacob's" chucks that are "NOT" made by the Jacob's Chuck Company of Clemson, South Carolina. Some of those tools will be of high quality and some will be junk. When most people talk about a Jacob's chuck it is about the same as talking about a "Coke." They are talking about a drill chuck of the same or similar design without regard to whether or not it is actually a high quality tool manufactured by the Jacob's Chuck Company.

So in reality, not all "Jacob's" chucks are created equal. Some of the imports are reasonably good and some are not. As a rule, the very inexpensive ones may not be as good as you would like(DAMHIK); but there are always exceptions.

Yep,

Not all "Jacob's" chucks are created equal, even the ones that carry the Jacobs name. I recently bought one for one of our milling machines and the supply house was out of the one I wanted so I opted to get the "economy" model. I was horrified to see the quality of this piece of junk and it had .008" runout! It went right back.

Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by Randy_
<br />

Yep,

Not all "Jacob's" chucks are created equal, even the ones that carry the Jacobs name. I recently bought one for one of our milling machines and the supply house was out of the one I wanted so I opted to get the "economy" model. I was horrified to see the quality of this piece of junk and it had .008" runout! It went right back.

Jeez! I didnt know that!!!! [:I]

I also use a HF Jacob's Chuck. It works just fine for me. When I turned it over to see where it was manufactured it said "Jacobs, China". At least that what I think it says. The writing is kind of hard to read.

BTW ..... does anybody happen to know where my Jacob's Ladder is made? South Carolina, maybe??? [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom