Grizzley 0555 Blade ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

Hi Does anyone use a 3/4" blade on there 14" saw. This seems like a big blade for this saw. 1/2" or 5/8" seems big also. Ripping some thick wood and have gone through 2 3/8" Lenox blades already. Thanks Rich H

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

I have used all the way up to 3/4" on mine but I have the riser. Currently I am using either a 1/2" of 5/8" but can't remember. I am trying out the Carter brand right now but some day I would like to get one of those $100 blades for resawing.

jeffnreno

I use a 3/4 blade on mine with no problem.
Picked my last one up at a local saw shop that makes them with carbide tips for about $70.

Rifleman1776

I have been using a 3/4" on mine for years and like it. I much prefer a 4 tooth over the traditional 3 tooth.
However, I am about to put on a riser and will then use no more than a 1/2" blade. The reason is, with the higher support post a 3/4" will be difficult, if not impossible, to tension properly as the machine itself will then flex. I do not see a problem using a 1/2" blade however. I'll be going with 4 tooth on that also.

KenV

Must be cutting some tough stuff with lots of silica or debris -- I generally use bi-metalic blades unless cutting debris laden wood. Cost more but last a long time and I resharpen them.

Use 14 in saw with riser and generally use a 3/8 blade as it cuts circles nicely as well as straight lines.

RDH79

I am cutting that crib dam wood. Pulled from the water this past Nov after 100years It has to be the moisture in it because after I get some dry it's not that hard to cut I was using lenox 3/8 6 tooth blades. Gong to try something else today. If i had a year to wait I would just let it air dry.

KenV

Rich -
Water cuts easy -- woods accumulate mineralzation when sitting under water or in the soils, and I expect it is the mineralization that is grinding the edge off your blades. It is probably wearing off some of the set too (wear on the outside of the tooth).

You might want to do a light resharpening with a dremel and cut off wheel to get through this tough-to-cut-wood and avoid blade tossing. There are some u-tube videos on the touch the front of the blade sharpening. Fast and gets about 70% recovery.

6 tooth is a bit small to resharpen from the gullet -- 3 or 4 works pretty good.

If it is mineralization, the drying will make the blade hotter (water cools the blade now) and you probably would have more smoke.

Top Bottom