Green Wood End Sealer? (Shop Aid. I guess)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

I've been picking up logs from tree cuts and the like for years now. Since my first year in turning, 2020. It didn't take long to see that green wood splits, often rather quickly once it starts to dry, so I started buying this stuff from Rockler called "Green Wood End Sealer" that is a wax based end grain sealer like Anchorseal. The difference is, Anchorseal is about $50/gal, while the Rockler stuff was $19/gal. I ran out of my last gallon, and drove over to the local Rockler, to find out they seem to have discontinued the stuff?

Only other thing I could find locally, at least that I know of, is the Anchorseal stuff...but I am certainly not going to pay the price they are asking. Wondering if anyone knows of another brand of end grain wood sealer that works the same way, that can be bought in gallon size? I mostly seme to find the anchorseal stuff online. I don't need anything fancy, and would like something that is wax based. I did find something on CraftSupplyUSA, but it was PVA based... Not real sure what to think of that.

I could try just melting wax over the ends of my logs, but...there is something about how the anchorseal and rockler sealer that seems to help it penetrate the grain a bit and really give a good seal. There are some solvents in the mix, I'm sure. Not sure that just melting simple wax would really do the same thing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have heard of using latex paint to coat the ends. Others will share their experience.
Any idea how long that lasts? I get at least a year or so with the green wood end sealer, before it shows any sign of separation. I have some still-green birch logs, fairly large ones from a neighbor, that were sealed in 2022, and are still thouroughly well sealed. I guess that was another point I meant to make and forgot...was the efficacy of the stuff. ;)

I dont know about the Rockler stuff but I have a gallon of Anchorseal that I bought in 2021 that I just used this week (Sept 2024) and it seems to work just fine. I also have some Hickory slabs from a neighbors fallen tree from the same period of time are still well sealed with that Anchorseal.
I dont know if Anchorseal has a expiration date as my label is basically illegible but I do know Anchorseal is Propylene Glycol and Petroleum wax. I would assume as long as the container is sealed and the Propylene Glycol doesnt evaporate I would say it is good.

What about making your own butcher block sealer (wax and mineral oil) and painting that on? I can't say I know the cost of it, but I don't see any reason that wouldn't work for at least a year or two.

I've used a couple different ways but in my opinion Anchor Seal works the best. If you have a lot of wood and are not concerned about losing some of it to cracking then almost any method is ok.

That said, anchor seal is expensive so it may be worth it to use another method and lose a few pieces of wood. I'm fortunate because my local club buys a 55 Gallon drum, decants it into 1 gallon containers and resells to members for only $13 gallon.

What about making your own butcher block sealer (wax and mineral oil) and painting that on? I can't say I know the cost of it, but I don't see any reason that wouldn't work for at least a year or two.
I think I'll give something like this a try. I found this:

I think the intent was to make a finish, but...I don't see why it couldn't make an engrain sealer just as easily. Probably needs a greater percentage of wax vs. the oils.

Well, apparently, my "last gallon" was actually the gallon before the last. I misplaced my actual last gallon, found it today buried behind a pile of logs. Its almost half full, it looks like, so that should last a little bit.

This stuff is apparently a wax emulsion, which is a water soluble emulsion of waxes (usually more than one type) thanks to surfactants mixed into the melted waxes. Its labeled non-hazardous, but, as I understand emulsified wax there are surfactants/detergents that aren't really truly non-toxic. In any case, making your own emulsified wax sealer probably wouldn't be all that hard...you only need to mix it with water. I suspect that the waxes in this green wood end sealer is probably carnauba, bees, and maybe some other natural waxes (at least, that would make sense...)

I bought 5 gallons of Anchor seal in 2018 and I still have 3 gallons left. I spent about $125 on that back then. I can't imagine how much it is going to cost when it is time to re-order more.

Back
Top Bottom