First resin pour and pen turned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

For as long as he's been born, my youngest has watched me make blanks and pens. I've tried to encourage him to jump in and create but it's never been his interest. His mother has told him several times over the years that she would love to own his first pen if he ever decides to try it. This year he came to me just before her birthday and said he would like to make her his first pen. As we began, I decided to make it a bigger step and more meaningful project for them both by having him cast the blanks he was going to use.

I made a picture board for her of his process. These are a few of them. I offered only verbal help, as he carried out all of the steps. After a week of short stages it was complete…. the pour (he chose the colors), turning, finishing (with a CA finish) and assembly. He's turned wood before for other projects and did not like how hard the resin was but did a great job. His favorite parts was pouring the resin. He did great and I'm very proud. I even have hopes of gaining an employee in the resin room sometime. Lol

Attachments

• 74153836196__8B53D7EB-C21C-4D5C-A669-337A56B62622.jpeg
    74153836196__8B53D7EB-C21C-4D5C-A669-337A56B62622.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_8865.jpeg
    IMG_8865.jpeg
    405 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8920.jpeg
    IMG_8920.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 109
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

The apple doesnt fall far from the tree, John!!!
My son was 35 before he made his first pen and now has made a total of 2.
Anyway, I'm sure that he will be all made up when his mother opens her present.

KMCloonan

It looks like your son inherited the courage to wait until the resin is over 100F before pouring. 🤣 Great color separation!
This experience will be something he will remember for the rest of his life, and the pen will be cherished by your wife as well.

Hippie3180

For as long as he's been born, my youngest has watched me make blanks and pens. I've tried to encourage him to jump in and create but it's never been his interest. His mother has told him several times over the years that she would love to own his first pen if he ever decides to try it. This year he came to me just before her birthday and said he would like to make her his first pen. As we began, I decided to make it a bigger step and more meaningful project for them both by having him cast the blanks he was going to use.

I made a picture board for her of his process. These are a few of them. I offered only verbal help, as he carried out all of the steps. After a week of short stages it was complete…. the pour (he chose the colors), turning, finishing (with a CA finish) and assembly. He's turned wood before for other projects and did not like how hard the resin was but did a great job. His favorite parts was pouring the resin. He did great and I'm very proud. I even have hopes of gaining an employee in the resin room sometime. Lol
Looks like he's a chip of the ol block, fantastic job. The blank is beautiful and great kit choice. I'm sure his mama loved it!

bugradx2

Fantastic work! Congrats to the newest pen maker at the Underhill house and the "experienced" pen maker who led the way!

Sataro

Great job on his first pen from start to finish! That is an outstanding gift for his mother & he will be proud of making it for her. Your son may not realize how proud he has made you getting to see him follow in your footsteps making this pen from start to finish! Great memories have been made for you & your wife! Compliments to the young man on a job well done!

moke

Awesome...we have the next generation to help us with casting!!! Soon he will take over the family business!

Seriously...congrats....I am sure it was a great feeling to watch him turn that for his mother!

Top Bottom