First Pen(cil)! P200 mechanism in olivewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Aguynamedglitch

First mechanical pencil turned! It's a bit thick, but since I accidentally sanded through the skinniest part of my first attempt, I left a bit more to work with.
Used an 8mm OD 7mm ID brass tube since the 7 OD 6 ID one I had earlier didn't quite fit the mechanism (I'll try a 0.2mm wall thickness later on, or just check with my vernier to see if it'll fit). Adapter piece was a 7mm OD 4mm ID brass tube drilled out and cut off to 1/8" then press fit into the end.

p200 olivewood 8mm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thank you! I'm trying to think of a way to get the pentel clip on without marring the wood (it's considerably thicker than the original body). Any tips/ideas?
Ha HA... Just do it! 2-3 failures and then you will learn what you need. Realistically, several practice trials are worth the lessons - speaking after looking back after 12 years! ( of many failures). :p 🤣

duncsuss

Thank you! I'm trying to think of a way to get the pentel clip on without marring the wood (it's considerably thicker than the original body). Any tips/ideas?

I find it helps to fit ("force" would be more accurate) the clip onto a transfer punch to get the jaws open wide enough to pass over the barrel, then slide it back off the punch onto the barrel.

A cheap set of transfer punches is a great thing to have around - I get mine from Harbor Freight, not sure if there is an equivalent in Canada.

Curly

A cheap set of transfer punches is a great thing to have around - I get mine from Harbor Freight, not sure if there is an equivalent in Canada.
Princess Auto and Busy Bee quickly come to mind. There are likely other places, perhaps a little cheaper and there is always Amazon but no bargains there either except for Prime shipping for free.

I have 3 sets that cost less than one set now. :eek:

Jarod888

If you want to use a 7mm tube, ream the top end of the tube about 1.5 inches down the tube with a .2570 reamer. (Fyi) that is a letter F reamer.

Also, for the nib end just use a 7mm cap from an old kit, or order some replacement ones from one of the vendors that sells replacement parts.

Using a collet chuck, turn down the cap to the same external diameter for the entire length. Then drill a hole to fit the pencil end. You will also need to shorten the cap, because if you don't, the threads won't be exposed enough to thread on the nib.

Here is one I recently made.
IMG_20240630_102539~2.jpg

IMG_20240630_102436~2.jpg

IMG_20240630_102406~2.jpg

Last edited:

sorcerertd

I have a thought about that. What about putting a groove in it, then using something akin to a centerband from a slimline in the groove? It would make it snap in place without damaging any wood, and would give continuity to the metal of the clip ring instead of having the gap be so obvious.

This makes me, once again, want to play around with some pencils. I wonder about the Pentel Graphgear 500.

Last edited:
I have a thought about that. What about putting a groove in it, then using something akin to a centerband from a slimline in the groove? It would make it snap in place without damaging any wood, and would give continuity to the metal of the clip ring instead of having the gap be so obvious.

This makes me, once again, want to play around with some pencils. I wonder about the Pentel Graphgear 500.
On this one I wound up just stretching out the clip with two pairs of pliers and then forcing it on (didn't seem to scratch it, but I'm not taking it off to check). On my newest one, I put a groove in roughly the right diameter for the clip, so we'll see how that works once it's done soaking up the finishing oil (paduk is thirsty!).

Top Bottom