First Pen Bodies Ready

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TN_Eric

After several practice runs I finally made a few pen bodies ready for assembly. Gave my 2nd actual finished pen to my wife, 30 cal Pen. Was going to use it for my self but she wanted it. The other 2 30 cal pens will be for my son, and a friend once my pen press arrives tomorrow. Also made my self a pencil.

After my pencil and wife's pen, my polishing improved greatly. Used Doctor's Woodshop High Build friction polish. The Bethleham Olive Wood pen will go to my friend, and not sure yet which I'll send to my son, leaning towards the walnut as that wood was a gift from my late Father-In-Law. It's 8 inch wide, 12 feet long, and 1 1/2 inch thick ! Had it for 10 years not knowing what to make with it. Did the wife's pen using clamp. Not a fan of that option!

Any criticism, positive or negative, is welcome or suggestions.

Pencilrdy to build.jpgrdy2.jpgrdy3.jpgWife's Pen made from Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Those look nice.
I agree with you on the clamp method, keeping everything aligned is more difficult that way.
I actually press between centers on my lathe, using this kit. I love the feel and control I get using the tailstock/quill.

Clamp ? To press the components together? I use an arbor press as I find it easier to assemble than using a horizontal press. Bought a half ton press at Harbor Freight years ago for about $30. They discontinued it and now they only sell a one ton press at a higher cost. PS the pen bodies you turned look great.

Those look nice.
I agree with you on the clamp method, keeping everything aligned is more difficult that way.
I actually press between centers on my lathe, using this kit. I love the feel and control I get using the tailstock/quill.
Interesting. Good price for $18. If my Milescraft press doesn't pan out I'll give this kit a try, thanks.

Clamp ? To press the components together? I use an arbor press as I find it easier to assemble than using a horizontal press. Bought a half ton press at Harbor Freight years ago for about $30. They discontinued it and now they only sell a one ton press at a higher cost. PS the pen bodies you turned look great.
Used a clamp only to see hard crappy it would be to use lol. Pen Press arrives Friday. Thanks for the comment on the bodies. Once I get them together I'll post the final results.

Those are nice blanks; like how you compare the blank with the turned part to show the color and grain. The bolt action pen is outstanding. I'm sure it will be treasured for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom