Finishing bushings for large turnings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bugradx2

So I've been playing around making the single cigar holders from Rockler & Craft Supplies the last couple of weeks. They're an interesting challenge and worth the try if you have a cigar person around you. I'll try making a post with both and some thoughts once I con Mrs Bugradx2 into taking nice photos of them.

All goes well until I get my CA finish on and then I wind up with the extreme ends of the holders/tubes not looking the way I would like them to because the the CA basically fractures when I remove the cigar holder from the turning bushings. I could certainly take a razor blade to the edge between the bushing and turned body or be more careful with my CA but honestly I'm not sure I'm that guy....

When I do my finishing on pens I use cone shaped turning bushings that are made of plastic/nylon/uhmw and thing work out quite well.

I've got a few old cutting boards laying around that I use for jigs but would really prefer to not try to glue them up in layers to get something large enough. The interior diameter of the tubes is 61/64" so it will be a healthy bushing. Is there a source for really large finishing bushings or a place where I can get a rod of the stuff to try and make my own?

I'd appreciate some thoughts and ideas. Sharing a quick photo of the Craft Supplies one I did last night.

Attachments

• 20240819_235823.jpg
    20240819_235823.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 24
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Delrin rod comes in many diameters. If you have someone nearby that works with plastics they may have scraps. Otherwise there are suppliers

I have a buddy with a 3d printer that printed off a bunch of these larger plastic bushings for me. I use these to finish the majestic full size pens. I'm able to reuse them and use my turning tools to take the CA glue off. Let me know if you are interested in some.

Attachments

• F6670258-1865-450D-BD10-1EC2CA4A993B.jpeg
    F6670258-1865-450D-BD10-1EC2CA4A993B.jpeg
    429.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 713508B6-1D4B-4D48-B8B6-32E3216C7B52.jpeg
    713508B6-1D4B-4D48-B8B6-32E3216C7B52.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 20
So I've been playing around making the single cigar holders from Rockler & Craft Supplies the last couple of weeks. They're an interesting challenge and worth the try if you have a cigar person around you. I'll try making a post with both and some thoughts once I con Mrs Bugradx2 into taking nice photos of them.

All goes well until I get my CA finish on and then I wind up with the extreme ends of the holders/tubes not looking the way I would like them to because the the CA basically fractures when I remove the cigar holder from the turning bushings. I could certainly take a razor blade to the edge between the bushing and turned body or be more careful with my CA but honestly I'm not sure I'm that guy....

When I do my finishing on pens I use cone shaped turning bushings that are made of plastic/nylon/uhmw and thing work out quite well.

I've got a few old cutting boards laying around that I use for jigs but would really prefer to not try to glue them up in layers to get something large enough. The interior diameter of the tubes is 61/64" so it will be a healthy bushing. Is there a source for really large finishing bushings or a place where I can get a rod of the stuff to try and make my own?

I'd appreciate some thoughts and ideas. Sharing a quick photo of the Craft Supplies one I did last night.
I am making an assumption about the turning bushings. I assume they slide onto a standard 7mm pen mandrel?
I'm sure I can either supply you with some pieces of 1.5" inch HDPE or can possibly even make the finishing bushings for you.
PM coming. - Dave

I am making an assumption about the turning bushings. I assume they slide onto a standard 7mm pen mandrel?
I'm sure I can either supply you with some pieces of 1.5" inch HDPE or can possibly even make the finishing bushings for you.
PM coming. - Dave
Dave, that's exceptionally gracious of you! I'll drop a line back on your message.

thanks
Kent

I have a large piece of HDPE that a local business was putting into a recycling container. Have several bushings plus tapered bushings for finishing. Need to make a few more.

Back
Top Bottom