Finish Question #132

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

As mentioned before, I have a cocobolo blank that showed streaks in the CA finish. I initially applied six coats of thin CA with a paper towel. Today I applied MM to the blank, went back and repeated with the last three MM pads. Looked good and had a high gloss. But looked at the blank under a light and see a few tiny pits in the CA finish. Micro bubbles from the initial application? Thinking about applying 3-4 coats of thin CA with craft foam, then MM. Your thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Cocobolo should polish up to a good gloss without CA.
I imagine that the oiliness in the cocobolo affects the CA.
I rarely use it as a finish so there will be better qualified folk here to advise you.

You might be using too much CA. What I do is slow the lathe speed down to 600-700 rpm. After dry sanding I wipe down the blank to remove all the dust. Then I'll put a coat of thin CA to seal the blank. I let it dry on its own. When dry I use a Scotch Bright pad to level up streaks. I pretty much just knock off the shine from the glue. Then I apply another coat of thin. After the 2 coats of thin I switch to medium CA. I'll put 3 coats of med on then start wet sanding. When I had trouble with CA finishes I talked to the manufacturer of Mercury CA and his suggestion was to cut back on the number of coats I was using. Good Luck.

All good info above. Cocobolo is an oily wood. A lot of those Central America woods are. You have to wipe that oils off real good first. I use acetone also. It will remove the surface oils and brighten the wood a bit. Good luck!

I buy acetone by the gallon. Same with DNA. Was in Lowe's and got a gallon of DNA for $9, weld on the handle broke; nothing else wrong with the can.

Back
Top Bottom