Extra Effort is Not Wasted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
The October 2024 Fine Woodworker that I received in the mail today had a short but great article entitled "Extra Effort is Not Wasted". It is also the "From the Editor" article, by Michael Pekovich on page 12. "Take your time" he says!

He explains that we often have a limited amount of time to get in some woodwork. Maybe an hour or maybe an afternoon in the shop. (sounds like me) When this happens, the limited TIME defines the speed at which we work. When Time defines the working speed, the outcome is generally OK but not perfect. When time defines the speed, there are often minor things we don't do in order to complete the work in the short amount of time - and this can and does at times cause the results to be good but not excellent or "perfect".

"While we tend to focus on the quality of the end product while we are working, placing our sights on the quality of the time we're spending in the shop, just may get us closer to that piece we were hoping to make."

The author mentions that when he finds himself looking for what to do next to get the project finished faster, he takes a break.

Rushing, trying to get a pen or several pens made within a specific time frame will usually make the end results as acceptable but are they perfect?

To me, making a pen (each pen) is a journey to the end result. Enjoying each step of the journey makes the end product much better.

Take your time. The extra effort is not wasted.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
This is great advice, sometimes it's easy to get into the rut of needing to drop the next group of pens (if you sell) and for me this greatly detracts from the enjoyment of the process. Honestly, the enjoyment of the process is why we do it, in fact right now I'm taking a step back from the pressure of trying to come up with something original…there are always those who will ride your coat tails anyway, so nothing is original for long. I think where the real value is, is doing your very best to make the best quality pen you can produce, and being satisfied with the craftsmanship you put into it.

The way my time works is bit different than most. It has taken me many years to figure this out, but when I'm realizing I'm getting tired. It is time to close up the shop... or at least walk away for a while and do something else. A machine spinning at 800 rpm is no time to 'slip' and destroy the piece you've been working on.

The October 2024 Fine Woodworker that I received in the mail today had a short but great article entitled "Extra Effort is Not Wasted". It is also the "From the Editor" article, by Michael Pekovich on page 12. "Take your time" he says!

He explains that we often have a limited amount of time to get in some woodwork. Maybe an hour or maybe an afternoon in the shop. (sounds like me) When this happens, the limited TIME defines the speed at which we work. When Time defines the working speed, the outcome is generally OK but not perfect. When time defines the speed, there are often minor things we don't do in order to complete the work in the short amount of time - and this can and does at times cause the results to be good but not excellent or "perfect".

"While we tend to focus on the quality of the end product while we are working, placing our sights on the quality of the time we're spending in the shop, just may get us closer to that piece we were hoping to make."

The author mentions that when he finds himself looking for what to do next to get the project finished faster, he takes a break.

Rushing, trying to get a pen or several pens made within a specific time frame will usually make the end results as acceptable but are they perfect?

To me, making a pen (each pen) is a journey to the end result. Enjoying each step of the journey makes the end product much better.

Take your time. The extra effort is not wasted.
I worked my business career in a job with constant timeframe & financial deadlines. When I retired, I swore I would never do anything for fun again that pushed me into a situation where time or sales were the driving factor. Oddly, my enjoyment of my hobbies in retirement not only increased, but so did my quality - time was no longer an issue, so I can work to make things better versus work to finish it. It does make a difference. I think we can all benefit from slowing down and doing the right thing in our hobbies and in our lifes!

Had to look it up, evidently 'more haste, less speed' hails back to when the word speed meant success or luck.
It also goes back to Emperor Augustus festina lente ('hasten slowly')

Of course, quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur

The more pens I turned, the slower I got - I was always a hobbyist, not looking for sales. I actually enjoyed the process, so to get to the end quicker was not in my interest! However, the quality also took a leap for the better.

Back
Top Bottom