Epoxy glue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Has anyone tried thinning epoxy glue? I'm trying something new and it's a little thick for what I'm wanting. I'd rather not heat it in the bottles but rather mix DNA or something that. Thanks for any replies or ideas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Two-part epoxy thins out nicely with acetone. You have to allow longer for it to cure, but otherwise works fine.

I've used it as a finish - thinned out till it's quite runny, use a rag to wipe the blank *once* from end to end and walk away. Don't attempt to go back over it, wait until it is cured before applying another coat the same way. Don't ask me how I know this, but you can really screw it up if you think "oh, I missed a bit, I'll just give it a second wipe over."

It's called the Massey finish - named after a bow and arrow maker who first described the technique.

Although it can be done, thinning epoxy by adding a solvent is rarely recommended. Although it may act as a thinner, depending on the solvent and the epoxy formulation, even drastic changes in the characteristics of the epoxy can happen.

For example, adding lacquer thinner significantly reduces epoxy's compressive strength significantly compromising its viability as a structural adhesive. Adding solvents like Acetone can extend curing time which makes the work less predictable. If the solvent doesn't evaporate before the epoxy hardens it can cause the epoxy to shrink and crack over time. Solvents can also change the color of the cured epoxy.

That's why the recommendation for thinning epoxy is to either heat the resin and hardener before mixing and/or heating the substrate materials. Using heat doesn't compromise the characteristics like adding solvents does.

That being said, although I don't add any solvents, I do often add one small drop of acrylic paint to my epoxy to color it when I am using translucent plastic blanks. Besides the color, it does seem to make my epoxy take significantly longer to harden up.

Knowing the potential ramfications, you will only know for sure if you give it a try. Because of it's high evaporation rate I would suggest Acetone.

Dave

Thanks for the advice. I've got two materials that don't play well together. I'm hoping the epoxy will help them bond together. There shouldn't be any stress between the two so I'm not really worried about the glues strength. At least this is a starting point if plan A doesn't work. Thank You

There are specialized, colored epoxies that have water thin hardener, thick hardener and "doming" agents to add to the thick hardener to make it thicker. Cure time is measured in days, not hours.

I did what JohnU describes. I built custom fishing rods for seven years. The epoxy used to coat the guide thread was put in a bowl of hot water for a couple of minutes to thin for easy application. One learns to work fast plus mix two batches for a two piece rod.

Back
Top Bottom