Enduro....I like it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKF

Just got some Enduro and have used it on my last few pens and I really like it...I have used CA/BLO as well as lacquer, and Enduro, in my opinion, is right up there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikey

Good link. I think this may be where I first learned to do the stuff.

In my own personal experience I have learned that it is better to apply with the lathe off. I drizzle a line of enduro on the top of the blank, then rotate the lathe by hand back away from me. When I rotate the lathe back, I barely lay the Viva towel (wet with a little pre applied Enduro) on the balnk and as it rotates it spreads a nice heavy layer. Done right, there is no need for sanding and you only need to buff for an ultra smooth feel.

The one thing you MUST use is the Viva paper towel. I first tried Bounty and Brawny, but for some reason it just doesn't spread the same as with the Viva.

Texatdurango

I just read the link (and don't take this personal Wayne), but it sure seems like an awful lot of sanding!

The reason I say this is that I have read most, if not all of the CA finish formulas, even some of the secret processes and most of them have tons of sanding as well which I found to be overkill.

I just got my Enduro yesterday so will have to give it a shot to see if I can get a decent finish without all the sanding. I hope it turns out nicer than the Mylands friction polish and as nice as the lacquer finishes I have tried.

George

DKF

Wayne's system is more or less the one I have used....

Mikey....I am using the Costco paper shop towels that Fangar talks about in his CA tutorial....Do you think the VIVA paper towels would be better?

mrcook4570

Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />
I just got my Enduro yesterday so will have to give it a shot to see if I can get a decent finish without all the sanding.

When you finish your pen, position it so that it is skew to a fluorescent shop light. The reflection of the light will be a very broad band on the pen. Now slowly tip the pen end to end while rotating it. The broad band of light will highlight any and all imperfections in a finish. Then judge whether or not all of the sanding is necessary.

Mikey

Don, I have never tried those towels, so I can only say try what you already have. Worst case is that you realize the coat doesn't go on smooth and you sand a lot more than normal and go buy a roll of Viva towels. You will know almost instantly though if you have the right towel as you will see how smooth the finish goes on with the right one.

George, the amount of sanding you have to do is dependent on how light your touch is. If you try and overwork it, you will get the sanding lines and fuzz from the towel will start to stick. If you apply with a deliberate, but slow touch, the coat will go down smoothly resulting in little to no sanding required. Even if you sand between coats, you are looking at wet sanding (best method after finish cured) and even then 15 seconds per grit with MM. When I sand, sometimes I start with teh 3000 MM and go up and sometimes I start with the 1800MM. All depends on how steady and patient I was. Since it's summer now, I'm looking at spraying batches outside for no lines or sanding at all. Takes a light mist though as this stuff comes out of the gun fast.

its_virgil

The quality of the finish on a pen, no matter what product is being used, is a function of the quality of the pen's surface prior to applying the finish. The better job we do preparing the pen's surface, the better our finish will be. At least that is what I have come to conclude.

Secret processes...hummm...how secret? Where can we find them? What's the password? What's the link? There's a finish we don't know about? Inquiring minds want to know! [:D]

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />I just read the link (and don't take this personal Wayne), but it sure seems like an awful lot of sanding!

The reason I say this is that I have read most, if not all of the CA finish formulas, even some of the secret processes and most of them have tons of sanding as well which I found to be overkill.
George

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom