Ebonite Sleeves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cjenkins

Hello everyone, I have a question that is a potentially tricky one - is there a way to install ebonite sleeves (or Alumilite, acrylic acetate etc) on a kitless pen which has one closed end on both the cap and body, without making the sleeves separately at first and then gluing that into the pen? I was just wondering if there was any possible more efficient ways to do this.

I have drilled out the blank and inserted an ebonite rod to fill the opening. Then drill it out and thread. The problem with this is tapering your pen. If you build a sleeve and step drill your sleeve, it will allow you to taper your pen more.

I agree with what @hooked said. I make my sleeves with 2 or 3 "steps" in them so that I can taper the barrel and cap. I drill the blanks and then machine the ebonite and then turn it down to fit the drilled blanks.

I have seen someone here on the forum that drills the blanks and then pours the resin in, I suppose you could "step" drill the blanks and do it that way. If you want the resin to be past the blank, make a form at the open end to hold however much you want past the wood.

Sleeves first then drill and glue. Black acrylic acetate works will for me.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20220715_154016-01.jpeg20220715_154032-01.jpeg20220731_123236-01.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom