Chasing the threads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

From another thread IAP members were talking about tapping [ chasing ]the kit so to fit a "Schmidt Cartridge Rollerball System.". also to the pen. If you tap the already threads to the new threads will you not have the same problem with the original feed assembly ? I like the idea but changing the threads puts up a red flag

Can some of you more experienced turners address this thanks

Chthulhu

This is actually retapping, and if you're lucky you end up with something that will take either the original or the Schmidt part, though the threads overall are weakened. Ideally, you would fill the existing thread with epoxy, and then drill and tap to the Schmidt size.

("Chasing" a thread means running a dull(-ish) tap of the same thread as the original through the hole to clean and smooth the thread, or to use chasing die or a thread-restoring file on an OD thread for the same purpose.)

its_virgil

I purchased the tap and schmidt roller ball tip from Tony at http://www.thegoldennib.com and ran,chased, passed through, screwed through (or whatever it is called) the tap through the section's threads. The rollerball tip fits and performs as expected. I have replaced the rollerball tip with the original fountain pen feed and nib it also fits and performs as ecpected. I reinstalled the fountain pen feed just to see how it would fit and perform after heave usage. No problems with either. I suppose other taps of the same size would also perform as expected. I've done several of these conversions with no problems and I don't think luck had anything to do with the success. :wink: It works!
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:
Top Bottom