Casting Cholla cactus skeleton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

A friend sent me a box of cholla cactus skeletons and the first thing I want to do is to make him a nice pen with a piece. All I have seen so far is people filling the cavities with colored epoxies then turning them and probably using a ca finish.

Has anyone cast these skeletons in colored resin with much success? I don't have that many pieces to play with so can't do a lot of experimenting. I will be using Alumilite and my concern is that aside from the main voids, the skeleton appears quite porous and under pressure, the resin might just fill in everywhere making the skeleton itself colored.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A friend sent me a box of cholla cactus skeletons and the first thing I want to do is to make him a nice pen with a piece. All I have seen so far is people filling the cavities with colored epoxies then turning them and probably using a ca finish.

Has anyone cast these skeletons in colored resin with much success? I don't have that many pieces to play with so can't do a lot of experimenting. I will be using Alumilite and my concern is that aside from the main voids, the skeleton appears quite porous and under pressure, the resin might just fill in everywhere making the skeleton itself colored.

You might check with Pat at Ankrom, he cast some for JohnM I think.

I cast cholla with both alumlite and silmar 41 on a regular basis and have no problem with either resin. There is a lot of mineral inpregnated in the cactus so I find it turns best with a carbide tool. The resin will fill any voids but looks really good when turned. I apply a ca finish to seal the cactus after turning. Then buff with white diamond and follow up with paste wax. I would post pictures but my computer skill is really poor.
Good luck

desertrat
John H

George,

This was the first Cholla pen posted on IAP. It was cast with black Alumilite. To save resin, wrap the outside of the blank with blue masking tape and let it extend above to create a reservoir. Then pour and place in your pressure post standing up.

Choya1.jpg

George,

This was the first Cholla pen posted on IAP. It was cast with black Alumilite. To save resin, wrap the outside of the blank with blue masking tape and let it extend above to create a reservoir. Then pour and place in your pressure post standing up.

EXACTLY what I needed to hear and see. I just happen to have some blue tape so I'll give it a go this afternoon, Thanks Curtis!

Back
Top Bottom