Calligraphy pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

Recently a friend asked if I could source and make calligraphy pens that he wanted to use as gifts. The attached kit is from William Wood-Write. The woods are box elder burl flame, cocobolo, and olivewood. I made a 4th in purpleheart but don't have a picture. The kit comes with 3 nibs, some ink refills, ink pump, and is reasonably priced.

Attachments

• calligraphy.jpg
    calligraphy.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 82
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Those came out nice Graham. I've made a. Opulent of those kits.
The nib sets for these are the same, as I think, the Jowo nib. I'll double check when I get to the shop.

Are these really calligraphy nibs? It looks like a fountain pen kit being sold with stub FP nibs.

Are these really calligraphy nibs? It looks like a fountain pen kit being sold with stub FP nibs.
I know liitle about calligraphy. So, I can't say for sure. As far as I know they are. It is constructed like a fountain pen with ink cartridges, and it has an ink pump so you can use your own ink.

They are Italic nibs in different weights.

If your definition of "calligraphy" requires a flexible sharp-pointed nib (e.g. for Engrossers' Script or Zanerian) these do not qualify - nor if you define "calligraphy" as Chinese/Japanese brush script.

But there are a large number of calligraphers for whom italic or Old English or German black-letter falls under the general heading of calligraphy, and these nibs work for those styles.

Back
Top Bottom