Buffing without a buffer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Just finished a cocobolo blank with six coats of thin CA. Turned out good IMO but wondering about buffing. I don't have the Beal system or anything like it. Or room. Suggestions are most welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
There are lathe buffing systems in which the buffers fit on the lathe. They only take up a little storage space on a shelf or in a deep drawer.

The below is only one of many varieties offered by different companies. Do a google search for "lathe buffing system"

Harbor Freight sells a set of three 8" buffing wheels. They are intended to mount on a shaft, and come with washers to center the wheels. Its relatively easy to turn wooden hubs that either can be gripped with a scroll chuck, or if you have an appropriate tap, threaded to screw directly to your spindle. You would need a nut and bolt (from the hardware store) for each hub. So for less than $50, you can have a set of three buffing wheels that mount on your lathe.

You do want to protect your wheels from the dust that inevitably is everywhere in a turning shop. I use a cheap snap-lid plastic food container from the dollar store. Because its cheap, it won't last forever, but because it's cheap, its also easy to replace.

Then you need compound. Harbor Freight sells a red compound that is a good substitute for Tripoli. I bought my white diamond from PSI, and a stick of carnauba wax from a vendor at a wood turning show.

If you don't need a super high gloss, another option to consider is a good polishing wax that you apply and rub with toilet paper. I use Dr. Kirk's, but Yorkshire Grit and Acks are also very good. Any of these will produce a silky smooth surface that is glossy although not as glassy as buffing wheels.

You CAN buy a buffing wheel (4") that goes into a power drill.

Keep the blank on your lathe, turning at low speed, use the buffing wheel on your power drill--I did it years ago, works ok.
BE CAREFUL--don't put too much pressure on the buffing wheel- can mar your blank.

2nd vote for Dr Kirks, it's 4 different waxes. I've been using it quite a bit this year and really like it for pens. Haven't used it on much else because they're the majority of what I turn

Harbor Freight sells a set of three 8" buffing wheels. They are intended to mount on a shaft, and come with washers to center the wheels. Its relatively easy to turn wooden hubs that either can be gripped with a scroll chuck, or if you have an appropriate tap, threaded to screw directly to your spindle. You would need a nut and bolt (from the hardware store) for each hub. So for less than $50, you can have a set of three buffing wheels that mount on your lathe.

You do want to protect your wheels from the dust that inevitably is everywhere in a turning shop. I use a cheap snap-lid plastic food container from the dollar store. Because its cheap, it won't last forever, but because it's cheap, its also easy to replace.

Then you need compound. Harbor Freight sells a red compound that is a good substitute for Tripoli. I bought my white diamond from PSI, and a stick of carnauba wax from a vendor at a wood turning show.

If you don't need a super high gloss, another option to consider is a good polishing wax that you apply and rub with toilet paper. I use Dr. Kirk's, but Yorkshire Grit and Acks are also very good. Any of these will produce a silky smooth surface that is glossy although not as glassy as buffing wheels.
Do you have a link to that. I searched HF site and am not able to find this.

Just finished a cocobolo blank with six coats of thin CA. Turned out good IMO but wondering about buffing. I don't have the Beal system or anything like it. Or room. Suggestions are most welcome.
Zona's will also give you a darn nice finish without buffing if you don't have one.

My Beall buffing system fits into my lathe. Three wheels, you won't want to use all the waxes that come with it unless you're working with wood, you'll need additional wax for resin/polyurethane/acrylic etc.

To me buffing is over rated. I use McGuire's car waxes and they do a great job. Plus it gives a protective coating. Also no worries about burn through on the finish. I use buffing wheels on my scrollsawn projects where I use exotic wood for bases. I dip in Danish oil and when dry I polish with a buffer system. I tried buffing my wood pens but seen no difference than my method. Your milage may vary but do not be surprised.

Lots of info here. I looked in the library and downloaded a PDF by jrista. Got it in a notebook for reference. Will read in the next few days as my plate is full of other things.
Looked at the blank under a magnifying light and see tiny grooves around the diameter of the blank. BTW, I have applied CA with folded pieces of paper towels and don't recall this before.
I'm putting it aside and working on the synthetic blanks for now. I plan on cutting and drilling some extra wood without a tube to put on the lathe's live center and dead center with HDPE bushings tapered to a knife edge. My goal is to try different methods of applying CA and other finished. Will probably have questions and share some "Eureka" moments.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to that. I searched HF site and am not able to find this.
I searched the site also, and agree that the product I bought from them is no longer listed. Bummer. Hopefully, this is only a transitional situation, and the product will return to their listing - as I recall, it was under $20 which is a very good price for three-wheel (stitched, plain cotton, and cotton flannel) set.

I purchased mine at the Albany (NY) HF which was their only store in our area at the time. Since then, however, they have opened three new stores, and I do recall noticing that the three-wheel set wasn't in the buffing products area in one of the newer stores. However, I did find it later across the store in the automotive area. Don't know if that was intentional, or if it was a matter of finding a place for a clearance item.

I searched the site also, and agree that the product I bought from them is no longer listed. Bummer. Hopefully, this is only a transitional situation, and the product will return to their listing - as I recall, it was under $20 which is a very good price for three-wheel (stitched, plain cotton, and cotton flannel) set.

I purchased mine at the Albany (NY) HF which was their only store in our area at the time. Since then, however, they have opened three new stores, and I do recall noticing that the three-wheel set wasn't in the buffing products area in one of the newer stores. However, I did find it later across the store in the automotive area. Don't know if that was intentional, or if it was a matter of finding a place for a clearance item.
How about this one….

Assorted Polishing and Buffing Kit with 1/4 In. Shank

Back
Top Bottom