Black Palm- easy or difficult

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRAM

Is black palm a good wood to turn? Is it an easy wood to turn?
Exotic wood zone is having a sale and I was wondering if I should add it to my cart.
Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I will say that it is a tricky , and a bit of a pain to turn.

The palm woods are actually in the grass family as opposed to trees/shrubs. The dark fibers running the length of the wood are quite hard, and the lighter part filling in the space between the dark fibers is soft and even punky. I like to drill it, cut the corners off on my band saw, to make the cross section octagonal, and then I soak it with thin CA to stabilize it. Then I glue in the tube and turn it, adding more thin CA as necessary.

This said, it is one of my favorites once the work is done!

Is it just me? I haven't really had any trouble with it. Now, I have been very careful, but I really like the stuff. It makes a great finished product. I've been meaning to buy some more. If nothing else, it will help you learn patience. ;)

This magic wand is probably my favorite item I've made with black palm so far.

BP.wand.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so glad you asked. This was one of my first pens when I didn't know any better. You know, when all your cuts are finishing cuts? The top is end grain too! It took me Forever but I did it. I've since turned red palm for a gavel handle and that was much less fun as I assumed myself skilled enough to get it done quicker - splinters galore!

Back
Top Bottom