Bell Tavern Historical Blanks for Sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

It's been years since I've offered these: I have three sets of pen blanks

Sets one and two are 6 blanks at 3/4" by 5" plus a couple extra shorter ones. Each set comes with 10 info cards and includes shipping in the USA. Payment of $67 via paypal. Claim in thread.

One set (Set 3) of smaller 5/8" blanks. Also $70 shipped USA. Over 5" long. Great for thinner pens, letter openers etc. There are 13 blanks plus extras and 18 cards / info cards.

James Bell was a captain in the revolutionary war that ran a Tavern in Cumberland county PA. This Tavern became known as a meeting place for anti-federalists who believed that the constitution wouldn't adequately protect us and that we needed a bill of rights as well. One particular meeting was one of the precursor discussions to the writing of the bill or rights. Sadly, this historic building was demolished. Fortunately I have some wood. These blanks come from what I believe is a ceiling or roof joist. I put my metal detector to use and dug out all of the square cut nails. They are not stabilized. The wood is solid - stabilizing would be your choice. Not sure the wood - Doug fir? Hemlock?

Attachments

• IMG_2645.jpeg
    IMG_2645.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_2626.jpeg
    IMG_2626.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It's a shame that it was demolished. Wasn't the state or local historical society interested in preserving it? BTW, keep the square nails as they were made by a blacksmith. I got some from an old house remodel in Kentucky.

It's a shame that it was demolished. Wasn't the state or local historical society interested in preserving it? BTW, keep the square nails as they were made by a blacksmith. I got some from an old house remodel in Kentucky.
Oh, yeah it was a whole involved story with preservation efforts, premature partial demolition stopped midway that left an unstable structure that had to be removed. There is now a historical marker but no building left, sadly...

Attachments

• Ball Tavern Marker.jpg
    Ball Tavern Marker.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the history update. It's a shame that it had to be demolished.
Trivia: I was in NYC for sales training, 1998, in the WTC. Several guys would hang out after hours and find restaurants in Lower Manhattan. We were just a few blocks from Little Italy and Chinatown. We happened to stumble on Fraunce's Tavern in Lower Manhattan...oldest continually operating tavern in the US. Plus, it was where Washington and others hammered out the early days of our country while enjoying a pint or two or three.

It's been years since I've offered these: I have three sets of pen blanks

Sets one and two are 6 blanks at 3/4" by 5" plus a couple extra shorter ones. Each set comes with 10 info cards and includes shipping in the USA. Payment of $70 via paypal. Claim in thread.

One set (Set 3) of smaller 5/8" blanks. Also $70 shipped USA. Over 5" long. Great for thinner pens, letter openers etc. There are 13 blanks plus extras and 18 cards / info cards.

James Bell was a captain in the revolutionary war that ran a Tavern in Cumberland county PA. This Tavern became known as a meeting place for anti-federalists who believed that the constitution wouldn't adequately protect us and that we needed a bill of rights as well. One particular meeting was one of the precursor discussions to the writing of the bill or rights. Sadly, this historic building was demolished. Fortunately I have some wood. These blanks come from what I believe is a ceiling or roof joist. I put my metal detector to use and dug out all of the square cut nails. They are not stabilized. The wood is solid - stabilizing would be your choice. Not sure the wood - Doug fir? Hemlock?
James Bell was my Great Granfather (several greats ago). He was wounded at the battle of Brandywine Creek and eventually had to become a recruiter for the Continental Army. I believe he was at Valley Forge with Washington. His brother, Patterson Bell was a Col. in the PA Maltia. Another brother went TN and established the Cumberland Furnace, the gave land to the state for the largest state park in TN, Montgomery Bell state park. Interesting family.

Back
Top Bottom