Band-It Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

Well this one was a learning experience. First I purchased a 360 Herringbone blank model from Brain Ochoa. Lucky for me he sent an extra 180 as well. I figured I'd practice with it and a good thing I did. When gluing in the pieces I was concerned about glue getting into an open slot and not letting that piece seat well. So I had trouble with it because I didn't use enough glue. I've used a pen mill since I started turning pens so that's what I used for this trial blank. The pen mill was too aggressive and I ended up turning off the ends a gluing up caps on the ends. So before starting this one I bought the sanding jig from Rick Herrell here on the IAP. That was a blessing in disguise. I've already used it for other projects. Anyway long story short I finally finished it up. The wood is all Sapele. Questions and Comments are Welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4385.jpeg
    IMG_4385.jpeg
    607.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4386.jpeg
    IMG_4386.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 69
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Well this one was a learning experience. First I purchased a 360 Herringbone blank model from Brain Ochoa. Lucky for me he sent an extra 180 as well. I figured I'd practice with it and a good thing I did. When gluing in the pieces I was concerned about glue getting into an open slot and not letting that piece seat well. So I had trouble with it because I didn't use enough glue. I've used a pen mill since I started turning pens so that's what I used for this trial blank. The pen mill was too aggressive and I ended up turning off the ends a gluing up caps on the ends. So before starting this one I bought the sanding jig from Rick Herrell here on the IAP. That was a blessing in disguise. I've already used it for other projects. Anyway long story short I finally finished it up. The wood is all Sapele. Questions and Comments are Welcome.
Kenny: I have use several blanks from Brian and they all worked out really cool, he does make great stuff, just like your Snake blanks. Good job on this one Kenny.

Kenny Durrant

Kenny: I have use several blanks from Brian and they all worked out really cool, he does make great stuff, just like your Snake blanks. Good job on this one Kenny.
Thank You. I'm pleased with the way it worked out. Just a little learning curve. I don't have the skills and patience to make this blank the old fashioned way so he helped me do the next best thing!!!

Kenny Durrant

Extremely cool pen, well done. Obviously you broke the wood for the centerband. Is the glue line visible at all?
Thanks for the comment Ken. It is slightly visible. I'm working on another Band It that I had to break the center band and it's visible as well. They're both very minute but there. Probably the average person would never notice but when you're making them you see every detail. I really like the kit. It opened up my thinking and skill level trying new things. I've got one more to finish up and it's been the most challenging of the 4. Not the kit but the things I'm wanting to do to it.

KenB259

Thanks for the comment Ken. It is slightly visible. I'm working on another Band It that I had to break the center band and it's visible as well. They're both very minute but there. Probably the average person would never notice but when you're making them you see every detail. I really like the kit. It opened up my thinking and skill level trying new things. I've got one more to finish up and it's been the most challenging of the 4. Not the kit but the things I'm wanting to do to it.
Thanks Kenny, I haven't been able to bring myself to make a wooden center band. I know if I can see the break, I won't be happy with it. That's just me though. I do have some extra center bands so I might try it and see.

Kenny Durrant

Thanks Kenny, I haven't been able to bring myself to make a wooden center band. I know if I can see the break, I won't be happy with it. That's just me though. I do have some extra center bands so I might try it and see.
I understand. It's one of those necessary evils I guess. I've mentioned in other threads these are some things I've been wanting to try but never have. It's opened up another new door to my pen turning. I'm not on your skill level so I can't be too critical or I'd be trashing most of my work. Ha Ha.

KenB259

I understand. It's one of those necessary evils I guess. I've mentioned in other threads these are some things I've been wanting to try but never have. It's opened up another new door to my pen turning. I'm not on your skill level so I can't be too critical or I'd be trashing most of my work. Ha Ha.
I'll probably just use a Diamond Knurl if I want a wooden or acrylic centerband, no breaking necessary on those. I have made some that way.

Kenny Durrant

I'll probably just use a Diamond Knurl if I want a wooden or acrylic centerband, no breaking necessary on those. I have made some that way.
One of the reasons I've never customized the center bands and finials on other kits is I'm afraid of ruining the finish. With the durable stainless steel that hasn't been an issue. I completely understand your train of thought though. Sometimes it's tough to get a perfect pen but it's hard knowing it has a blemish before you get started.

KenB259

One of the reasons I've never customized the center bands and finials on other kits is I'm afraid of ruining the finish. With the durable stainless steel that hasn't been an issue. I completely understand your train of thought though. Sometimes it's tough to get a perfect pen but it's hard knowing it has a blemish before you get started.
I made my own little mandrel for turning centerbands for the Diamond Knurl. The part is made completely separately so there's zero chance of harming any plating the way I do it.

Top Bottom