Applying two part epoxy to tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have been conversing with egnald (Dave) and he has been most helpful with mixing paint to epoxy. How does the members apply it? Cheap craft brush? Spatula?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I buy thin "skinny" craft sticks from either Walmart or Hobby Lobby. They are about 6 inches long and 1/4 inch wide. I bundle them together and cut them in half with my bandsaw. They cost about 3 to 4 dollars for a package of 75 to 100 sticks. I've also thought about getting some of those wooden coffee stirrers to give them a try.

Dave

I also keep a container of brow wax applicator sticks on my workbench. They come in handy for a lot of things. I get the ones that are kind of teardrop shaped with one end slightly wider than the other. - Dave

Every time I go to the orange big box store I grab a couple paint sticks from the paint dept and then cut them in half lengthwise on the bandsaw. I'll cut the halves down into 3 inch or so pieces. Basically wind up with the same size stick that Dave mentions above. I may try his method next time around though.

I have been using wood coffee stir sticks. Anytime I am somewhere that has them, I grab a few. They are typically long enough to cut in half as Dave mentioned. I usually wipe them off after use and re-use them a few times.

I bought a bundle of cheap craft paint brushes from Oriental Trading; used for applying epoxy to fishing rod thread. Still have a good supply. Thanks to all for their help.

I figure the coffee store and McDonalds owe me a few sticks so everytime I buy I get a few and save them.

Also a good excuse to eat frozen ice cream on a stick šŸ¤«

I have been doing this since I started and still use the same small thin screwdriver. When done I wipe with acetone to clean. If I need to scrape some off I use an exacto knife and good to go again. I mix the epoxy with popsicle sticks . Buy them in bundles and are very cheap. I buy the larger ones for mixing resins.

I break off one end of the brush to stir epoxy or have a couple hundred plastic coffee stirrers. BTW, SWMBO got a 24 pack of paint at Hobby Lobby. Now to find a place to store them.

I buy these at Hobby Lobby, 500 pieces and they work great.

Attachments

• IMG_4542.jpeg
    IMG_4542.jpeg
    317.8 KB · Views: 47
In the hole I use anything thin that fits in the hole of the blank. Sticks, nails, wire etc. The tube I roll in the blob of glue I mixed until coated. I plug the tube cookie cutter style with sheet bees wax, both ends so I don't have to clean the inside. Still have lots of sticky glue on the gloves which has the benefit in that I drop less.

Thanks, Curly. I have some clay to plug the ends. I took inventory and have about 300 nitrile gloves. Why so many, I don't know.

I buy these at Hobby Lobby, 500 pieces and they work great.
I do the same. I still have to use a rasp to clear any glue that gets inside the ends of the tubes. I may need to try a sheet of wax to cover the ends, might save me some work. I guess it depends on how much a sheet of wax costs.

I do the same. I still have to use a rasp to clear any glue that gets inside the ends of the tubes. I may need to try a sheet of wax to cover the ends, might save me some work. I guess it depends on how much a sheet of wax costs.
I dip a q-tip in dna and clean out any glue in there before it starts to setup. Way easier than after it cures.

I found using a small brass rod works well for this. About 6" long by 3 or 4 mm ( 1/8 to 3/16") . cut it square across and " file the end at a very slight angle . The filing gives you a burr on the end which scrapes / cuts the hardened epoxy off as you push it through. looking through the blank with a strong light let's you see any bits you've missed .

Also got a nice dental rod type tool which works well

Back
Top Bottom