Anyone Tried Infinity's Carbide Knives for Dewalt 735 Planer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

I've tried their HSS knives, and they do last a little longer, but still not long enough. Was wondering if anyone tried their carbide knife set, and could offer an opinion on their lifespan and quality of cut. Thanks.

Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Tim

First let me say I do not own that planer but do know it is an excellent tool. Have a friend that has one. He has not switched to carbide but is thinking about it. The blades that come with that tool are not very good quality to start with so comparing them to carbide you will find a world of difference.

They will outlast any HSS blade you put on there for sure. How much will always depend on what you run through the planer. You will have to pay almost 3 times as much so you will have to do the math. Then you need to ask yourself about sharpening. Carbide can be sharpened. To sharpen them with a professional will cost more than HSS. Now both types can be honed by yourself. Not sure if you sharpen your HSS blades but they are easier than carbide. Big difference between honing and sharpening. Planer blades as well as jointer blades are always subject to knicks. Is carbide the answer??? That will have to be your call. They will definetly last longer, cut smooth but comes with a bigger price tag.

Depending how much planning you do can be another factor and buying good quality HSS blades maybe a cheaper answer. Good luck.

terry q

I had carbide on a Delta many years ago. It wasn't worth the money. I don't remember the edge being sharp that much longer. First time a knot comes loose carbide chips pretty fast. If your serious about carbide replace with a spiral cutter head.

Timbo

Hello Tim

First let me say I do not own that planer but do know it is an excellent tool. Have a friend that has one. He has not switched to carbide but is thinking about it. The blades that come with that tool are not very good quality to start with so comparing them to carbide you will find a world of difference.

They will outlast any HSS blade you put on there for sure. How much will always depend on what you run through the planer. You will have to pay almost 3 times as much so you will have to do the math. Then you need to ask yourself about sharpening. Carbide can be sharpened. To sharpen them with a professional will cost more than HSS. Now both types can be honed by yourself. Not sure if you sharpen your HSS blades but they are easier than carbide. Big difference between honing and sharpening. Planer blades as well as jointer blades are always subject to knicks. Is carbide the answer??? That will have to be your call. They will definetly last longer, cut smooth but comes with a bigger price tag.

Depending how much planning you do can be another factor and buying good quality HSS blades maybe a cheaper answer. Good luck.

Most of the wood I run through my planer is hard maple for the cutting board I make. I always go over the wood with a wire brush prior to planing to remove as much dirt as possible to reduce nicks and dulling. I also run end grain cutting boards through my planer, which can be done safely with the right technique, but also seems to be hard on blade life. I'm sure the carbide will last longer than HSS...how much longer will determine the cost effectiveness.

Timbo

I had carbide on a Delta many years ago. It wasn't worth the money. I don't remember the edge being sharp that much longer. First time a knot comes loose carbide chips pretty fast. If your serious about carbide replace with a spiral cutter head.

Maybe the carbide you tried years ago was low quality. Certainly my carbide router bits, saw blades, and turning tools last a lot longer than the HSS ones I used years ago. If it chips more that could be an issue, although the little ridges that result are easily sanded away. I'm considering the Shelex spiral head conversion also. Spiral head cost about $450 vs. $200 for the 3-blade option...might be more cost-effective in the long run.

Top Bottom