Alumilite Dyes/Pigments Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Does anyone know if Alumilite Urethane resin dyes/pigments can be thinned? I know you can't come near it with water, but is there any other liquid I can use? It seems like the last several times I have bought the small bottles of dye, they leaked during shipment (indicating the seal was compromised), or the pigment was so thick it would not squeeze out of the bottle. I use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to poke into the bottle and pick up some dye, and then swirl it into the working slug of resin. I like being able to use the dropper tip to meter out how much I am using, but it's getting harder and harder to do this.

A related question: what is the shelf life of these dyes/pigments?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Does anyone know if Alumilite Urethane resin dyes/pigments can be thinned? I know you can't come near it with water, but is there any other liquid I can use? It seems like the last several times I have bought the small bottles of dye, they leaked during shipment (indicating the seal was compromised), or the pigment was so thick it would not squeeze out of the bottle. I use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to poke into the bottle and pick up some dye, and then swirl it into the working slug of resin. I like being able to use the dropper tip to meter out how much I am using, but it's getting harder and harder to do this.

A related question: what is the shelf life of these dyes/pigments?

Thanks.
I just did a search and didn't turn up anything you could add to thin. Some suggestions were to use a wooden stir stick to stir it well, or place the bottle of dye (making sure cap is closed) into warm water. This was based on that perhaps temperature played a part in the thickness of the dye.

I have some other pigments that are also very thick and difficult to dispense meaning what o get to come out into my cup varies and is hard to control. These pigments say to shake very well as the pigment settles to the bottom.

I just did a search and didn't turn up anything you could add to thin. Some suggestions were to use a wooden stir stick to stir it well, or place the bottle of dye (making sure cap is closed) into warm water. This was based on that perhaps temperature played a part in the thickness of the dye.

I have some other pigments that are also very thick and difficult to dispense meaning what o get to come out into my cup varies and is hard to control. These pigments say to shake very well as the pigment settles to the bottom.
Thanks Michele - I never thought of trying to warm up the pigment bottle. I will give that a try. I have been shaking each bottle vigorously, and that helps with some of the bottles, but not all.

Back
Top Bottom