A tourist trap from 19th century Jerusalem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Amihai

Another interesting item I couldn't resist purchasing on eBay:

This is a combination of a dip pen, letter opener and wax sealer carved from bone. It writes 'Jerusalem' on one side and has a small stanhope lens on the other end. If you look through it you will see a small inscription mentioning the church of Nativity.

Such items were common in the late Victorian era, this are in fact old tourist traps, with travellers paying to buy such souvenirs with small inscription mentioning the place they visited. Some of those sets (not this one) even feature small low resolution photographs, which back in the day were quite revolutionary.

Those aren't worth much today, but this is the only example I found to mention the holy land. Definitely an interesting piece of history, and I'm happy I bought it!

Attachments

• IMG_20240721_215929.jpg
    IMG_20240721_215929.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_2024-07-21-20-15-34-556_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-21-20-15-34-556_com.ebay.mobile-edit.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 68
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wow, pretty cool. I don't have many souvenirs from Israel - just good memories and a lot of friends and acquaintances.

My biggest regret is that I never took the time to go to Jerusalem and to Yad Vashem. I even had a personal invitation from the curator because I had donated several of my father's photographs of the liberation of one of the camps a few years ago.

Dave

I was thinking of human or animal. History shows that the brutality of people knows no bounds. More than likely an animal bone.

Back
Top Bottom