A strange thing...!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi everyone,

Today, on one of my many regular visits to my doctor, I have finally decided to take some pics of this particular tree that lives a few meters away from the Clinic's front door!

I wouldn't dare to tell you how many times I stared at that tree, particularly the trunk(s). It resembles so very much, something that I know and use but, is a catch to it, this tree is...! (to be continued...):biggrin:

Yeah, that's the catch..., what do you thing this tree is? what does it look to you to be? so, what is the catch...???:confused::rolleyes::wink:

PS: I will give it 24 hours for you people to have a go at it, tomorrow it all shall be revealed!:tongue::)

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1182_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1182_(1).jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 227
  • timber preparation 1181_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1181_(1).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 252
  • timber preparation 1183_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1183_(1).jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 181
  • timber preparation 1185_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1185_(1).jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 216
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
oh wait, that is an Aussie tree... Dont think my book covers that.

Is it a Eucalyptus tree?

Looks like Olive to me...the bark, the leaves...

Be careful if you cut it down...it checks worse than madrone.

Common guys,

Is only one type of tree with a bark like that and that grows in so many places around the world...! well, so I thought...!:biggrin:

Someone here is getting very hot on it, and getting close to the "catch"!:wink:

People with a Mediterranean background, should get it easy!:rolleyes:

Cheers
George

Looks like Olive to me...the bark, the leaves...

Be careful if you cut it down...it checks worse than madrone

Ouch...! now you're telling me...!

Give you 1.000 bucks if you can give me a absolute effective and doable process/way to stop that to happen...!:wink: Uncracked, unchecked, flawless, olive wood? where can I get that? I wouldn't mind to get some, it would make possible to satisfy some people that asks me for some all the time. Unfortunately, there is, fortunately I only have the "natural" olive wood that grows around here and as far as I know, it is a pure blood line of the best olive tree species grown in the world, specifically from Italy's olive tree blood line!:wink:

Now, with all of that said, there is one fact/reality that defines the nature of olive wood, and that is..., if ain't has, cracks, checks, flaws, etc., it ain't Olive Wood...!:eek::biggrin:

Sorry, back to the issue..., I don't think that I would be allowed to cut this tree down, nor I thing that I want to, unless I found out that they want it down, regardless...!:frown:

Very nice guess Mr. it seems you know your olives...!:)

PS: The pics bellow are of me, in dreaming time, in Paradise land, about October 2008! :biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Olive trees from Russel 038_(1).jpg
    Olive trees from Russel 038_(1).jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Olive trees from Russel 052_(1).jpg
    Olive trees from Russel 052_(1).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 123
  • Olive trees from Russel 058_(1).jpg
    Olive trees from Russel 058_(1).jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Olive trees from Russel 077_(1).jpg
    Olive trees from Russel 077_(1).jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Hi George,
We miss your stories on Paradise. My dog recognized the tree but i'm not about to let him sniff my wood pile to point it out. He's outside right now. Nice to see your up and getting around.

Hi George,
We miss your stories on Paradise. My dog recognized the tree but i'm not about to let him sniff my wood pile to point it out. He's outside right now. Nice to see your up and getting around.

Thanks Larry,
I do appreciate your words, they are indeed what makes me do what I do, regardless in what forum I'm at. Unfortunately, what I do and how I do it, does upset/disturb/annoy/irritate/and why not..., **** some people off,:eek: but, there are many others that appreciate the time and dedication I put into what I do. The way I do it is..., just me! nothing more, nothing less.

I don't have a better suggestion for people in Paradise that enjoyed my presence than, join also to this "less restrict an less conflict of interest orientated" International Forum and follow my presence from here...!:)

PS: Tell your dog that, he is wrong...!:eek::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Damn George, you can still make me laugh and I do like to laugh. By the way, Farley the pooch doesn't recognize your expertise or mine as far as that goes. He has another use for trees. Stay well my friend.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Well, is time to get the "cat" out of the cage...!:wink:

I will need to go back to the second sentence of my opening thread and it goes like this, I wouldn't dare to tell you how many times I stared at that tree, particularly the trunk(s). It resembles so very much, something that I know and use but, is a catch to it, this tree is...! (to be continued...)

this tree is not what it looks, instead is a Jacaranda :eek:, yes, that's right...!

The bark of this Jacaranda, is a exact copy of the mature Olive Wood tree, and I can say that I still find hard to believe the resemblance, reason why O keep staring at it every time I visit the Clinic. The most amazing thing, and the reason that make me put it here for a bit a fun, is the fact that the leaves that we can see in the pic(s) are from a Wild Olive tree (bush) growing just beside this jacaranda, which I knew that you ring bells to those that actually seen/know how a olive tree bark and leaves look like! A false lead, I would say...!:biggrin:

On the pics that I'm adding now, showing the whole thing in more detail, is easy to see that the tree is indeed a Jacaranda in full flower at the moment.

So the catch is, is not a olive tree but a Jacaranda, the question(s) for me now is/are, how does Jacaranda look like inside?, how good is it for "playing" with?
After all, I reckon that I will ask to the Clinic owners if they want to keep all those large trunks, or make the whole thing a little small...????:rolleyes: we never know what their intentions are, and if someone is called to cut or reduce its size, I prefer to be me, even at no charge, so that I keep the wood!:biggrin:

So, that's it, the mystery is revealed, with a very short lesson on "assumptions" made on the looks of things...!:wink:

Thank you, for those that participated in this little fun "game".

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1184_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1184_(1).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 104
  • timber preparation 1186_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1186_(1).jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 110
  • timber preparation 1187_(1).jpg
    timber preparation 1187_(1).jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 114
Ouch...! now you're telling me...!

Give you 1.000 bucks if you can give me a absolute effective and doable process/way to stop that to happen...!:wink: Uncracked, unchecked, flawless, olive wood? where can I get that?

I haven't tried all methods, but you could try the following:

Cedarcide's Turners Choice: http://www.cedarcidestore.com/catalog/item/3343694/2900278.htm
(The bowl and vessel turners in Hawaii swear by this stuff on their Koa bowls, not sure if it would react the same with olive)

Try the Madrone Treatment:
http://serioustoolworks.com/wood-turning-a-madrone-bowl-02.php
(The principle should work the same on planks say 1x6x10)

If either of these work PM me for my reward... :)

Back
Top Bottom