A Novelty Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

I rarely use center bands with slimline pens, and if I do I usually make one. Thus, I have a LOT of unused center bands, like over 100! I had a kit that was missing the finial. So, I got to thinking about what I could do with all of the center bands and that kit. The attached is the result. The biggest challenge was drilling ⅛" hole down the center of a ¼" wooden dowel! It wasn't perfect but good enough to proceed. The other slightly novel part is the "green" wooden cap. A woodworker friend invited me to help him dispose of some wood 😀. He claimed that he had too much. Of course, I asked him if he was feeling OK :p. I had the pick of the stock and came away with some very nice big pieces, which are getting used for other purposes right now, but may appear in pen form later. One 2" thick piece of hardwood was green for about 1' on one end. I assumed that it must have been treated with a preservative and thus not too deep into the wood. But no, it was the same color all the way through. My friend had no idea how it got like that. Anybody got a suggestion. BTW I don't know what the wood is.

Attachments

• novelty.jpg
    novelty.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 106
Back
Top Bottom