A few small bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NGLJ

Been busy making small bowls, some as presents. The woods are walnut, cherry, padauk, and sapele.

Attachments

• 2024-07-25_17-45-11.jpg
    2024-07-25_17-45-11.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 2024-07-25_17-46-02.jpg
    2024-07-25_17-46-02.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2024-07-25_17-46-29.jpg
    2024-07-25_17-46-29.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 60
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well done. Very attractive bowls (or are they boxes?)
I guess you could call them boxes or bowls with lids. I just think of boxes having corners 😊. Forgot to mention the "green" wood. Don't know how it got that color. It was given to me by a friend, and he does not know either.

Very nice! Love the vertical segmenting, fairly unique.
The segments are cut on the bandsaw. In this case with the table set at 30 deg from horizontal giving 12 segments to the ring. If you make the width of the wood the height X tan(30) you can get 2 segments from each cut. This creates 2 wedges. To turn the wedges into segments set the table at 15 deg and trim the base of each wedge with the hypotenuse of the wedge flat on the table . Now you have a "slice of pie". Apart from decoration, putting in spacers creates a small hole in the center of the "pie". It also makes allowance for slight cutting errors. Now you have a "pie" with 12 flat sides and a hole in the middle. Put it on the lathe (the hole helps to align on the lathe), turn it round and hollow out the inside. Although hollowing out is a lot more work, and more wasteful, than cutting thinner segments, I found that glue up accuracy was much better this way. I did try using thinner segments and sometimes ended up with some spacers that weren't quite vertical. My wife insisted that she could not tell but you know how picky we woodworkers are :p.

Those look fantastic.

Might the green wood be Lignum Vitae? It's the wood I think of when I see green wood.

Those look fantastic.

Might the green wood be Lignum Vitae? It's the wood I think of when I see green wood.
I wish 😀. I think that it has been stained "green" somehow. It is a hardwood 2" thick. So, I don't how that would be done to get an even color throughout. Perhaps it sat in "something" for a long time. It is only about 1' that is that color - should have mentioned that, sorry :mad:. The rest (2') is a medium brown.

The segments are cut on the bandsaw. In this case with the table set at 30 deg from horizontal giving 12 segments to the ring. If you make the width of the wood the height X tan(30) you can get 2 segments from each cut. This creates 2 wedges. To turn the wedges into segments set the table at 15 deg and trim the base of each wedge with the hypotenuse of the wedge flat on the table . Now you have a "slice of pie". Apart from decoration, putting in spacers creates a small hole in the center of the "pie". It also makes allowance for slight cutting errors. Now you have a "pie" with 12 flat sides and a hole in the middle. Put it on the lathe (the hole helps to align on the lathe), turn it round and hollow out the inside. Although hollowing out is a lot more work, and more wasteful, than cutting thinner segments, I found that glue up accuracy was much better this way. I did try using thinner segments and sometimes ended up with some spacers that weren't quite vertical. My wife insisted that she could not tell but you know how picky we woodworkers are :p.

Thanks for the details! I will have to give this a try. I've been wanting to get into segmenting for years.

Regarding waste...I guess that's just a fact of life when it comes to being a woodworker. ;) To bring something beautiful to life, you gotta waste a little wood! ;)

Back
Top Bottom