60 degree live center maintenance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

putnamm

I've been using a 60 degree live center for several weeks now with my pen mandrel. Tonight I noticed a high pitched whine coming from the lathe. I narrowed it down to the live center. So I put a bit of grease on the tip, and that solved the problem. Is this a common thing? Do I need to do this regularly?

Thanks,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
Mark it sound to me like the friction between the live center and the mandrel may be the issue. I used to apply a little candle wax to the recess in the mandrel and it helped a bunch. If the "chirping" continues feel the end of the mandrel and if it is warm that is the problem. Pretty easy fix if that's the problem.
WB

frank123

Are your bearings rough and/or causing excessive friction? Under the pressure of use as well as free from anything being mounted on it?

A live center should never make noise, need maintenance, or cause any other concern unless it is failing. You may want to keep a close eye on it.

chartle

Isn't lubeing up the tip kind of defeating the purpose of the live center or at least masking the fact that its not so live anymore.

nava1uni

I have a 60 degree live center with a replaceable bearing and I do clean it every few months. I just blow out the dust and put a little lube in the housing. Runs great

Top Bottom