3 times and still failed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mkorish

So I'm trying to make a resin pen blank with total boat resin. I'm trying to mix a pink pearl with a white/silver pearl to get a swirled affect for a breast cancer pen. The first two times they completely mixed, the third I let the resin get to 103 degrees before splitting and mixing. I then poured the two together, swirled and still looks like crap. Any one have any good tips or a blank they would sell...
Here's a pic of the third time..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
1000001793.jpg

I have no direct experience with it and I hope someone on IAP does and can answer your question. If not, then I would suggest that you mix up a sacrificial batch as a test and record the times and temperatures along with an estimate of the viscosity to give you an idea of how long it takes and at what temperature the viscosity is when it starts to look and/or feel thick. The information on the internet (mostly from knife makers) has the temperature all over the map. Good luck - Dave

I'm guessing that resin might be epoxy. The problem with epoxy is the viscosity and working time varies from brand to brand and there are lots of brands out there. To get the timing down it will take a few test pours on your end with various temps. That will help you determine the working time needed to pour and the proper resin temp to start at.

For color casts I would suggest switching to Alumilite Clear Urethane resin and pour between 100° - 110°. Just alternate the colors during the pour and pressurize up to 40 lbs in a tank for 90 min. Urethane resin is much easier on molds and doesn't require a week to fully cure like most epoxies.

PSI (and probably others) sells an Aquapearl blank called Hot Pink Pearl that might be close to what you are trying to achieve. - Click this link . - Dave

PS I've used it on a pink Princess pen kit and it came out really nice. Don't forget to paint the inside of the blank before you glue the tube in.

Last edited:
I only use epoxy for my castings. I have found that different brands get thick at different temperatures. You will have to experiment or wait until the epoxy gets very thick before you pour it. I know that you have to pour some epoxies like Liquid Diamonds around 130 degrees F. See the attached video where Jake Thompson does an experiment pouring epoxy pen blanks at different temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom