weird castings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I'm curious, just for conversational purposes, what is the most unusual thing you have cast, or seen cast, in a pen blank?
These poop ones, I don't get it, but who am I 😂😂

Attachments

• IMG_4399.jpeg
    IMG_4399.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 50

jttheclockman

You want to see weird just go back to the Bash Contests of the past years where we had categories such as the most Ugly Pen , Curtis did his famous Cat Poop blank. Then there is the fingernail blank and of course all kinds of hair blanks, (animal and human) Also check out the the contest Most edible pen blank. Thinks like life Savers, peanuts and things like this. Too many to mention here. Around 2009 I believe started those contests but could be sooner. Memory is not what it use to be. You will gross yourself out or laugh your pants off. Then topping those all off there was the Trash talking contests that played off those ugly pen contests and some really funny stuff.

Paul in OKC

You want to see weird just go back to the Bash Contests of the past years where we had categories such as the most Ugly Pen , Curtis did his famous Cat Poop blank. Then there is the fingernail blank and of course all kinds of hair blanks, (animal and human) Also check out the the contest Most edible pen blank. Thinks like life Savers, peanuts and things like this. Too many to mention here. Around 2009 I believe started those contests but could be sooner. Memory is not what it use to be. You will gross yourself out or laugh your pants off. Then topping those all off there was the Trash talking contests that played off those ugly pen contests and some really funny stuff.
Yep, the cat poop one is what I was thinking😜

sorcerertd

I remember reading a trash talk thread. It was pretty entertaining.

bugradx2

I can't say that cat poop would be one I would order. One of the guys at the MPG had a horse manure pen of his own making/casting. He said he did it because his brother challenged him saying he didn't think he could do it.

I will probably get a couple blanks for gifts for some of the people at the horse barn my kids ride at

Darios

Not exactly a cast, but I'm using dice for a seam ripper right now.

JohnU

That's a tough one. Most guys playing with resin have cast everything we get our hands on. I dont think of those things as unusual so they don't really stand out in my mind. At the moment I can recall… dried cereal, popcorn, pastas, beans, hot pepper seeds, sea shells, animal bones - teeth- and claws, porcupine quills, sting ray, pumpkin - sunflower - cherry seeds, wasp nest, beetle wings, scorpions, pez dispensers, wild flowers, maple
Leaves, the more common —snake skins, deer antler, bird feathers, nut shells, and my blue jeans.
Some years back I had the honor of meeting a fellow pen makers I believe from CA. at one of the MPG's and he brought me one of his personal casts. I've never seen another. I keep it "as is" and don't plan to turn it. Probably the oddest objects ever cast…
Gallstones (he was also a doctor).
I think that beats Poop!

Attachments

• IMG_8574.jpeg
    IMG_8574.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 43

Hippie3180

That's a tough one. Most guys playing with resin have cast everything we get our hands on. I dont think of those things as unusual so they don't really stand out in my mind. At the moment I can recall… dried cereal, popcorn, pastas, beans, hot pepper seeds, sea shells, animal bones - teeth- and claws, porcupine quills, sting ray, pumpkin - sunflower - cherry seeds, wasp nest, beetle wings, scorpions, pez dispensers, wild flowers, maple
Leaves, the more common —snake skins, deer antler, bird feathers, nut shells, and my blue jeans.
Some years back I had the honor of meeting a fellow pen makers I believe from CA. at one of the MPG's and he brought me one of his personal casts. I've never seen another. I keep it "as is" and don't plan to turn it. Probably the oddest objects ever cast…
I think that beats Poop!
Uhm, that's a firm no for me. I think you made a good decision to keep it intact. Nice specimen.

jttheclockman

Yeah.
I'm sticking with dice.
I have a dice pen blank made up but not sure what kit I was intending for so it just been sitting collecting dust. One of these days I should get some measurements of the tube and see if I can match to a kit. No turning involved. i have a couple blanks that I either chickened out on turning or just forgot what my intention was so they sit in the unturned pile.

woodwzrd

Probably the most unique material I have cast would be fossilized mammoth tooth and the most personal would be ashes from one of my dogs mixed in the resin.

sorcerertd

I think that beats Poop!
You've ventured further than I thought, but that's good. I'd definitely not be interested in a gallstone blank, but would love to see the end results of your less common ones.

Woodchipper

Delete if necessary: Trying to be as delicate as possible. Not a pen but a key chain. A fellow showed my father a clear acrylic (?) piece attached to a key chain. It contained the sections taken from a vasectomy. :oops:

jttheclockman

Delete if necessary: Trying to be as delicate as possible. Not a pen but a key chain. A fellow showed my father a clear acrylic (?) piece attached to a key chain. It contained the sections taken from a vasectomy. :oops:
Heck I have seen passing members ashes, vertebra from spine surgery, teeth from extractions, bones from surgery, screws and plates from surgery, pieces of leg casts. You name it, it has been cast.

Top Bottom