The Sounds of Cicadas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

From what I read, there are two different "Broods" of Cicada co-emerging this season. Brood XIX emerges every 13 years, and Brood XIII every 17 years. There hasn't been a co-emergence of these two broods since 1803 (once every 221 years). Even then, the two do not generally overlap geographically. It's very rare for the two different Cicadas to co-emerge in the same area.

Well, they are both currently singing in my woods. I've attached an audio file of the din outside my house. You can hear one brood making chirping sounds of alternating pitch, and the other producing a single continuous roar. Oh, and there are a few birds calling too.

I hope you enjoy it,
Eric

Attachments

• TwoCicadaBroods.mp3
    235.5 KB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Story: A family moved to the country and invited some friends to spend the weekend. Cicadas were making their usual racket. One of the friends asked, "How do you stand all that noise?"
I enjoy fly fishing in the mountains of East Tennessee. There is nothing like the sound of silence but the natural world is always active.

Sylvanite

This is what the noisy bugs look like:

TwoCicadas.jpg

GaryMGg

We just drove home to Florida from Gatlinburg by way of Aiken, SC.
Stayed off the interstates to the maximum extent possible—took lots of 2 lane roads through the backcountry.
Several places where they were in the trees.
Nothing beats the quiet and the sounds of nature.

Top Bottom