Pen design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bobbylad

Hi everyone again, as I'm new to this forum I would like to ask for any suggestions and making or designing a pen that's mathmatic related. For kids leaving school and going to university. In polite terms nerds.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Do you do any casting?? If so you can do many different label type casts or there are many watch dials that you can use for a blank like that. You may find something in the laser cut pens.

penicillin

I will be making a thank-you pen for someone who matches the description above. The pen will be for a young man, recently married, out of college. He likes gaming and playing the "new" card games. He is the friend of one of my children. When I showed them the Steampunk pen kits, I learned that it would be ideal as a thank-you pen. I admit, I am troubled by the "bullet/gun" motif of the kit design, but it can be overlooked in the grand scheme of the overall Steampunk look.

Regarding the term "nerd":

Words are words. It is how they are used and the intent (or lack thereof) behind its use that determine whether it is pejorative. I am not sure about "nerd." I have heard it used as a descriptive term without bias, and other times clearly intended as a demeaning way to describe someone. I avoid using "nerd", because most of the time it IS intended in a demeaning way, even if it may have had a benign meaning in the past. While nobody will be forced to resign their CEO position for using the term "nerd" to describe someone, it is still belittling, and I don't use it.

jttheclockman

Oh the sensitive society we live in today:eek::eek::eek:

How about GEEK how many times do we read on here about making computer pens for the computer GEEKS You even have the GEEK SQUAD in Best Buy.

How about all the emojis that are used here and everywhere?? :devil::devil:

Dehn0045

Maybe some simple segmenting - golden ratio or Fibonacci sequence. Maybe a little more complicated you could incorporate mathematical symbols or geometric shapes (triangle, circle, square, etc) with segmenting.

I personally think the steampunk is a little more "hipster" than "math nerd", but maybe the times are changing.

As others have suggested, label castings are a good choice and basically the sky is the limit. Also, laser personalizing is an option (Neje style). Otherwise I think that the circuit board blanks would be a good choice (most math nerds are also computer nerds).

Oh, last thing, math nerds often go with pencils

leehljp

Member Liaison
Some good suggestions above, and my first thought was circuit board pens. I was one of four in our small town school with a strong penchant for physics and chemistry that were nerds or geeks before either name existed. :biggrin: Our physics professor taught us binary programming way before ascii was released!

Welcome to this forum. Be sure to tell us how the pens turn out and which ones you give.

GaryMGg

I'm a computer nerd, geek or whatever pleases the community I serve.
I manage servers, storage, thousands of systems and users and IT Infrastructure including hundreds of millions of files and folders.
My fellow nerds and I take no offense in the term.
:biggrin:

Maybe you can apply formula labels to an acrylic blank?

Last edited:
Top Bottom