New to the Craft

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

geocaljr

Greetings from Homosassa, FL (yes, the town is called Homosassa). I happened upon IAP while googling pen turning topics and joined yesterday. About a month ago I inherited a Shopsmith MarkV w/some accessories and decided to try my hand at pen turning. I had never operated a lathe before, and I understand the Shopsmith may not be the best machine for small project turning, but I'm having a blast making gifts for family and friends. And the iPhone app is a great resource for searching vendor product lines. Since my motivation for turning is not financially driven, I'm trying to avoid having to purchase new drill bits and bushings for each style I'm interested in. Any advice for interchanging bits & bushings would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Welcome to the obsession. Many pens use the same bushings such as Gatsby, Sierra, Wallstreet, etc. Another example are the fountain pen/roller balls such as the Jr. Gent, Atrax, Triton, etc. If you download the IAP app, it lists most of the major kit specifications including bushing sizes so you can compare kits.

Another alternative is to forgo bushings entirely and turn between centers using calipers to come to the desired diameter.

I'm sure others will offer other ideas.

Regards,
Michael

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
Welcome to the group. In the beginning, I purchased the starter kits from Penn State Industries. They come with a couple of kits, the right size drill bit and bushings. This proved cost effective for me. Happy turning.

TonyL

Welcome! You will have a blast. Many own Shopsmith lathes and turn beautiful pens, etc.

magpens

Welcome to IAP, George !!!

You really will appreciate having a variety of drill bits ... shop the garage sales to get 'em cheap ! . And learn to drill on the lathe ... far easier and more accurate than a drill press.

Also learn to "turn between centers" as already suggested. . For that you'll need a digital caliper from a tool store. . If you do that you will eventually learn to do without bushings altogether which is a great advantage because searching for the right bushings in your tool box becomes a royal pain after a while.

Last edited:
Top Bottom