Good Afternoon from Columbus, OH!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ziggy

Good afternoon Ladies and Gents! I'm Michael. Currently in Aviation. Travel frequently. I got started in pen turning about a year ago. I came across a Woodcraft Magazine a few weeks before Christmas and needing some gift ideas, I decided to make a bolt action pen for my dad. I had never done anything like that before so I didn't have any tooling for it at all. I had built a homemade "lathe" (I use that term lightly for that jig because it was more like a high speed spindle of doom) using a dewalt drill, some wood blocks, and a mandrel. I used some cheap chisels I had laying around the house. Believe it or not, the first pen came out great! The second attempt, not so much and being the hard headed individual I am, I have continued to get better at the skill. Slowly been upgrading my tools and purchased an actual lathe as well. Stepping up! I really turn pens as a mental escape and to unwind. I have sold a few but I give quite a few away to family and friends. I have attached a few pictures of various ones I've done. I am always up for suggestions and tips. I have also turned a couple razors and I know they aren't perfect, I just enjoy making them.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_4344.jpg
    IMG_4344.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_4153.jpg
    IMG_4153.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_4695.jpg
    IMG_4695.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 178
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Welcome to IAP from Medina!

In addition to all the resources available online in IAP, there is an active Ohio Chapter, and a Regional Conference that is being held in a few weeks in Wadsworth!

Hope to see more of you on the forum and possibly in person.

Ziggy

Thank you! I am definitely going to try and make it. I might be in Florida that week but if I'm lucky enough to not go, ill be there! I'm not being sarcastic either. There is nothing quite like sleeping in your own bed instead of another hotel bed.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Hi Michael,

I'm in Little Turtle near SR161 and Hamilton Rd. Hope you can make the MPG.

Ziggy

Hello Michael! I know where that is at. I'm not too far away. I live close to Sawmill and Seldom Seen in Powell.

Ziggy

I do Sales. Not a pilot yet. I'm looking to get my license this summer though. I'd rather fly our 182 than drive for most of the trips I take.

Top Bottom