Spoon Carving 101

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

About a month ago, a couple of turning buddies got me into some basic carving. It started off with some simple "Worry Fish" and has progressed to spoon carving.
After the spoons were bandsawed to rough shape, the knife came into play.....and a lot of hand sanding.
The small shorty spoon is maple and the larger is mountain laurel.
This is time consuming but relaxing and fun. Each new piece is a challenge in figuring out the grain directions and getting smooth knife cuts.

E01BB0F8-E426-4811-915B-AA72DBFBDE3D.jpg

BDAD0ABD-8C26-4220-B001-C2EC6F075021.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Are you going to Ed's to carve? Yesterday was the regular 'spoon carving' Sunday, a meeting I did not make.

Nice work Charlie!

Thanks!
I was aware of the spoon carvers meeting at Ed's yesterday but we had company. I heard that Ed was going to have a fire for our rejects so I assumed it was outside.....little cool for hanging out outside of a few hours.....besides, I figured I would get chastised for using sandpaper:eek::biggrin:
I have working with Lin and Frank so far.

MDWine

. . . I figured I would get chastised for using sandpaper . . .

Nah, I don't think so.
They put up with me for a few meetings, so I don't think a little sandpaper will ruffle their feathers at all.

It is a great group, all intent on carving. I know several use sandpaper at some point... it ain't a thing.

I did not make Sunday, I got strung along with a photo client and didn't get anything done that day at all.

Carving is a great pastime, whether spoons or Santa...

Top Bottom